Wednesday, February 22 2017
Gulfstream Today 2.22.17
Rainbow 6 Carryover Grows to $192,000 for Thursday’s Program
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL
– The 20-cent Rainbow 6 went unsolved for the seventh consecutive racing day Wednesday, producing a carryover jackpot of $192,878.26 for Thursday’s 11-race program
Multiple tickets will all six winners Wednesday were each worth $2,975.58.
G1 Winner Practical Joke Tops 40 Nominees for G2 Fountain of Youth
Multiple Stakes Winners Irish War Cry, Gunnevera, Three Rules Also Nominated
$400,000 Stakes Serves as Final Prep for $1 Million Florida Derby (G2) April 1
March 4 Card Features Nine Stakes, Eight Graded, Worth $1.5 Million in Purses
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL
– Multiple Grade 1 winner Practical Joke, unraced since finishing third in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile (G1) Nov. 5, and multiple stakes winners Irish War Cry, Gunnevera and Three Rules are among 40 nominees to the $400,000 Fountain of Youth (G2) to be run Saturday, March 4 at Gulfstream Park.
The 71st running of the 1 1/16-mile Fountain of Youth for 3-year-olds serves as the final prep for Gulfstream’s signature race, the $1 million Florida Derby (G1) at 1 1/8 miles April 1. It is one of nine stakes, eight graded, worth $1.5 million in purses on the March 4 program.
G1 Winner Mind Your Biscuits Headlines G3 Gulfstream Sprint
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL – Mind Your Biscuits launched his 3-year-old season with a victory over New York-bred competition at Aqueduct and ended the 2016 campaign with a triumph over Grade 1 rivals in the Malibu Stakes at Santa Anita.
The newly turned 4-year-old son of Posse is scheduled to kick off his 2017 season in Saturday’s $100,000 Gulfstream Park Sprint (G3).
Fair Grounds Barn Notes: Sunday, February 19
• Girvin, Cool Arrow Give Sharp a One-Two Punch in Risen Star
• Souper Tapit Superb on Debut for Casse
• Daria’s Angel Impressive in Graduation
• Green Mask After Another Stakes Win in Colonel Power
• Farrell and Valadorna Top Work Tab; Risen Star Runners Drill
GIRVIN, COOL ARROW GIVE SHARP A ONE-TWO PUNCH IN RISEN STAR
The Grade II $400,000 Risen Star Stakes features a pair of Joe Sharp trainees — Girvin and Cool Arrow — who bear watching and respecting for different reasons. Cool Arrow, by white-hot sire Into Mischief, is a proven commodity. In six career starts, he has won three races and annexed two stakes events. Last out, in the $300,000 Springboard Mile at Remington Park, he easily wired a field of 12 by 3½ lengths. Ridden by Luis Saez that day, he gets the services of his cousin Gabriel for the first time on Saturday.
Thursday, February 16 2017
GULFSTREAM TODAY Thu 2/16/2017
Well-Bred 3-Year-old Filly Debuts with ‘Fabulous’ Victory
Saturday’s Card to Feature Guaranteed Multi-Race Wager Pools
Late Pick 4 - $300,000; Late Pick 5 - $200,000; Rainbow 6 - $200,000
Carryovers for Friday's Card: Super Hi-5 - $47,815; Rainbow 6 - $35,494
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL
– e Five Racing Thoroughbreds’ Florida Fabulous more than lived up to her impressive bloodlines and 1-2 favoritism in Thursday’s third race at Gulfstream Park, easily romping to a 10 ¾ -length score under a motionless Paco Lopez.
Toni Tools goes against state breds again in Sunday’s Franklin Square
Rice enters formidable pair for Broadway
OZONE PARK, N.Y.
- Toni Tools will look to continue her success in stakes races in headlining a 10-horse field in the third running of the $100,000 Franklin Square for New York-bred 3-year-old fillies at six furlongs on the inner dirt track on Sunday at Aqueduct Racetrack.
Trained by Todd Pletcher, Toni Tools has posted a win and a second-place finish in her last two stakes against state-breds, registering a half-length victory in NYSS Fifth Avenue on December 18 before finishing one length behind Dublin Girl in a runner-up performance in the Maddie May last out on January 29 at the Big A.
Read more articles in the Aqueduct
Saturday, February 11 2017
McCRAKEN SETS TRACK RECORD IN SAM F. DAVIS TOUR DE FORCE
– McCraken lived up to all the hype. And then some.
The unbeaten 3-year-old colt extended his record to 4-for-4 with a one-and-a-half length victory from Tapwrit in the Grade III, $250,000 Sam F. Davis Stakes at Tampa Bay Downs in stakes and track-record time of 1:42.45 for the mile-and-a-sixteenth. State of Honor finished third.
“He puts a lot of confidence in you, that’s for sure,” jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr., said of McCraken, who staged a powerhouse rally on the turn and rolled to victory. “You’ve just got to go with it and ride him with confidence. I asked him at about the half-mile pole and he hesitated a bit, but I think that was his way of telling me ‘Don’t worry. We’re going to get the job done.’ ”
INSPECTOR LYNLEY REWARDS HIS HALL OF FAME TRAINER AND JOCKEY
. – After a troubled start cost Inspector Lynley all chance in the Tropical Park Derby on Dec. 31, jockey John Velazquez asked trainer Claude “Shug” McGaughey to let him ride the colt in his next start.
The two Hall of Fame members got the best out of Inspector Lynley in today’s Grade III, $150,000 Tampa Bay Stakes on the turf, as the son of Lemon Drop Kid took the lead in deep stretch and staved off Kasaqui by a half-length. Irish Strait was another half-length back in third.
TAPA TAPA TAPA UPSETS ELATE IN SUNCOAST STAKES
– Before the $100,000 Suncoast Stakes for 3-year-old fillies, all eyes were on 3-10 favorite Elate from the barn of Hall of Fame trainer William Mott.
That was just the way the connections of Tapa Tapa Tapa liked it.
Racing on dirt for the first time in her six-start career, the daughter of Tapit-Kickin’ the Clouds, by Dixieland Band, assumed the lead shortly after the break under jockey Jesus Castanon and continued with good energy throughout, posting a three-length victory from Elate.
Gulfstream Today 2.11.17
Sunday Rainbow 6 Carryover $90,000
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL
- Gulfstream Park's 20-cent Rainbow 6 will have a carryover of $90,184.74 when racing resumes Sunday afternoon.
Multiple winning tickets in Saturday's Rainbow 6, which included victories by Almanaar in the Gulfstream Park Turf (G1), Sharp Azteca in the Hardacre Mile Gulfstream Park Handicap G2) and Dickinson in the Suwannee River (G3), returned $2,057.80.
$350,000 Hardacre Mile Gulfstream Park Handicap (G2) Quotes
Trainer Jorge Navarro (Sharp Azteca): “I couldn’t have asked for a better plan. Breaking was slow, they kind of bumped him and I was like, ‘Whoa, what happened?’ When [Blofeld] went with him, that’s what I wanted. I really wanted a horse to go with him, because this horse can get lazy. If you look at the replay in Louisiana, 24 and 49 [seconds], and he got caught on the wire. He needs somebody to go with him. When I saw that, I said ‘All right.’”
$150,000 Suwannee River (G3) Quotes
Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin (Dickinson): “[Her last race] was a funny effort. Johnny Velazquez is not only a great Hall of Fame rider, he’s a friend; he just came back and said I couldn’t get her to go around the turn. Thinking back she hadn’t gone two turns before, so maybe that helped us today to end up in the winner’s circle with this being the second time around two turns. But she is a super nice filly, with a super pedigree. A graded stakes win is very important for her. We’ll stay [on the turf]. Maybe she will reward us this year.”