Sunday, September 25 2016
Three Rules, Cajun Delta Dawn Breeze For Oct. 1 Florida Sire Stakes
Undefeated Juveniles Eye Series Sweeps on $1.6 Million Stakes Card
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL
– Undefeated Three Rules and Cajun Delta Dawn breezed at Gulfstream Park Saturday in preparation for Florida Sire Stakes sweep attempts next Saturday on a program featuring eight stakes worth $1.6 million in purses.
Shade Tree Thoroughbreds’ Three Rules breezed five furlongs in 59.56 seconds, the fastest of 41 workouts recorded at the distance, for a scheduled start in the $500,000 FSS In Reality. Curtis Mikkelsen’s Cajun Delta Dawn breezed five furlongs in 1:01.70 for the $500,000 FSS My Dear Girl.
Belmont Park Notes, Sunday, September 25
• Brown's fleet preps for "super" Saturdays; Connect in good form following upset victory in Pennsylvania Derby
• Pletcher readying Ectot, J.S. Choice, Off the Tracks, Theory, Nonna Mela, Cherry Lodge, Syndergaard, et al for upcoming stakes engagements
• Effinex and Shaman Ghost on schedule for G1 Jockey Club Gold Cup
• Clement readies pair for G3 Pilgrim
- Less than 12 hours after Mrs McDougal and Zindaya finished 1-2 in the Grade 3 Noble Damsel and Connect upset the Grade 1 Pennsylvania Derby at Parx Racing, trainer Chad Brown was back supervising his fleet of contenders for two upcoming "Super" Saturdays at Belmont Park, led by Grade 1 Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational heavyweight Flintshire and Grade 1 Flower Bowl invitee Lady Eli.
Mrs McDougal goes gate-to-wire to win G3 Noble Damsel
ELMONT, N.Y. - Mrs McDougal started strong and held off all challengers in the seven-horse field for a gate-to-wire victory in Saturday's Grade 3, $200,000 Noble Damsel for fillies and mares at Belmont Park.
Breaking from post 5 under Irad Ortiz, Jr., the Chad Brown-trained daughter of Medaglia d'Oro set fractions of 24.42, 48.64 and 1:12.27 before holding off stablemate Zindaya in the stretch to win by two lengths. She completed the mile on the Widener turf in 1:34.99 for her second career stakes win and first since the 2015 Grade 2 Lake George.
Churchill Downs Stakes Recap & Quotes
MINES AND MAGIC WINS SATURDAY NIGHT’S $100,000 DOGWOOD;
ARABIAN HORSE OF THE YEAR PADDYS DAY ROLLS IN PRESIDENT OF UAE CUP
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016)
– G. Watts Humphrey Jr.’s homebred Mines and Magic muscled her way through an opening at the top of the stretch to grab the lead with three-sixteenths of a mile to run and held off a late charge by Wonderment to win Saturday night’s 41st running of the $100,000 Dogwood Stakes Presented by GE Appliances (listed) at Churchill Downs by three-quarters of a length.
Thursday, September 22 2016
Gulfstream’s Rainbow 6 Carryover Friday at $58,000
Super Hi 5 Carryover
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL – Gulfstream Park’s 20-cent Rainbow 6 will have a carryover Friday of $58,649.90.
Multiple tickets Thursday with six winners returned $3,094.78.
First race post time is 1:15 p.m. Friday’s Rainbow 6 sequence starts with the fourth race, a maiden claimer at six furlongs, and ends with a 7 ½-furlong turf event with a field of 10 maiden claimers.
There will also be a Super Hi 5 carryover in the first race of $1,927.02.
Churchill Downs Stakes Advance
EMMZY ATTEMPTS TO LAND FIRST STAKES WIN IN SATURDAY NIGHT’S DOGWOOD
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2016)
– Zayat Stables LLC’s Indiana Oaks (Grade II) runner-up Emmzy landed the outside post in a field of eight 3-year-old fillies as she attempts to land her first stakes victory in Saturday night’s 41st running of the $100,000 Dogwood Stakes Presented by GE Appliances (listed) – the featured seven-furlong event at Churchill Downs during a special Downs After Dark nighttime racing program.
Double Pick 6 carryover of $106K on tap Friday at Belmont Park
ELMONT, N.Y. - The Pick 6 eluded bettors for the second consecutive day on Thursday at Belmont, triggering a two-day carryover of $106,527 into Friday's card.
Thursday's Pick-6 began with Sweetrayofshine's ($5.90) win in Race 5, followed by 43-1 longshot American Mink ($89.50) upsetting race 6. Bonita Bianca ($23.80) won race 7, Danilovna ($13.80) was victorious in Race 8, Diversify ($7.50) captured race 9 and Twisted Tom's victory in Race 9 closed out the day.
A consolation prize to bettors with five of six winners returned $4,052.
Wednesday, September 21 2016
Mrs McDougal looks for another graded stakes win in G2 Noble Damsel
ELMONT, N.Y. - Mrs McDougal will look to add a second graded stakes victory to her ledger as she headlines a field of eight fillies and mares 3-years-old and up in Saturday's Grade 3, $200,000 Noble Damsel at Belmont Park.
A 4-year-old, Mrs McDougal will gain class relief after back-to-back Grade 1 starts for trainer Chad Brown. The Medaglia d'Oro bay filly came in third in her last Belmont start, finishing 4 ¾-lengths behind winner Celestine and a length behind Recepta in the Longines Just a Game on June 11.
Saturday, September 17 2016
Rainbow 6 Carryover Jackpot Rises to $41,185 for Sunday’s Card
Super Hi-5 Carryover of $5,383 for First Race
Trainer David Braddy Notches Win No. 999
Tyler Gaffalione Rides Four Winners
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL
– The 20-cent Rainbow 6 went unsolved for the sixth straight racing program Saturday at Gulfstream Park, producing a $41,185.45 carryover jackpot for Sunday’s 11-race program.
Multiple tickets with all six winners were each worth $3,195.30.
A family affair: On Leave makes the grade in G2 Sands Point
ELMONT, N.Y. - Stuart Janney III's homebred On Leave kept her 2016 record intact with a 2 ¾-length front-running victory against 3-year-old fillies on the turf in Saturday's featured race, the Grade 2, $500,000 Sands Point at Belmont Park.
On Leave broke alertly under jockey Jose Ortiz and led the field of seven through a tepid pace, covering the opening quarter-mile in 24.94 seconds and the half in 49.86. Pursued closest by Elysea's World and Diamond Fields, the gray daughter of War Front held her rivals at bay as the field turned for home, cutting the corner and drawing off in the stretch to complete the 1 1/8-mile route on the firm inner turf in 1:47.82.
Not This Time Dominates Iroquois
NOT THIS TIME DOMINATES IROQUOIS AT CHURCHILL DOWNS;
TAKES ‘ROAD TO THE DERBY’ LEAD, EARNS TRIP TO BREEDERS’ CUP JUVENILE
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Saturday, Sept. 17, 2016)
– Albaugh Family Stable’s homebred Not This Time, a half-brother to last year’s Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile winner Liam’s Map, is the early points leader on the 2017 “Road to the Kentucky Derby” following a jaw-dropping 8 ¾-length demolition job under jockey Robby Albarado in the 35th running of the $150,000 Iroquois Presented by TwinSpires.com (Grade III) for 2-year-olds at 1 1/16 miles on Saturday at Churchill Downs.
Friday, September 16 2016
Strong 2-Year-old Program Makes Gulfstream a Track for All Seasons
Three Rules, Cajun Delta Dawn, Gunnevera Lead Class of ‘16
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL
– A sensational day of racing on the Sept. 3 Florida Sire Stakes (FSS) program contributed significantly to the growing realization within the Thoroughbred industry that Gulfstream Park no longer has an offseason.
Tour de force performances by undefeated Three Rules in the $300,000 Affirmed and Cajun Delta Dawn in the $300,000 Susan’s Girl graced a program of six stakes that generated a handle of $8.101 million – an increase of more than 46 percent over betting on the second leg of FSS program in 2015.