Saturday, September 13, 2008
CALDER RACE COURSE TO REDUCE PURSES FOR OVERNIGHT RACES AND STAKES RACES
Calder Race Course (“Calder”) announced today that due to lower than anticipated business levels, the racetrack is reducing overnight purses by 17 percent, effective with the Thursday, Sept. 18, card. The reductions will affect most races, although overnight stakes will retain their $55,000 level. Several stakes races during both the Calder Meet and Tropical Meet will also be affected.
“A number of factors require that these reductions be made,” said Kevin Flanery, senior vice president of Churchill Downs Incorporated, Calder’s parent company. “Calder has not fully recovered from the two and a half months at the beginning of the season when its signal was not allowed to be simulcast out of state. In addition, Calder racing has not been available through advance deposit wagering platforms, such as TwinSpires.com, since the season began on April 21 due to an ongoing dispute with the Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Group.”
In addition to the reduction of overnight purses, cuts totaling $1,020,000 will now be made to upcoming stakes races on the Calder and Tropical schedules. Those reductions are as follows:
* Brave Raj Stakes from $150,000 to $90,000
* Foolish Pleasure Stakes from $150,000 to $90,000
* $100,000 Shocker T. Handicap and $100,000 Hollywood Wildcat Handicap – cancelled
* $100,000 Challenge of the Americas Invitational – cancelled
* $100,000 Kris S. Stakes and $100,000 Cherokee Frolic Stakes – cancelled
* La Prevoyante Handicap from $200,000 to $150,000
* W.L. McKnight Handicap from $200,000 to $150,000
* $100,000 Chaposa Springs Handicap and $100,000 Pete Axthelm Stakes – cancelled
* $100,000 Tropical Park Oaks – cancelled
Business levels will continue to be monitored and adjustments to the distribution of overnight purses will be made accordingly.
Read more articles in the Calder - Live category.