Friday, September 26, 2008
MEADOWLANDS MEET BEGINS WITH A BANG
A seven-week engagement of live thoroughbred racing kicks off Tuesday, Sept. 30 at the Meadowlands.
The 41-day meet runs through Saturday, Nov.15, with live racing six days a week. Post time is 1:10 p.m. Monday - Wednesday, and 7 p.m. Thursday - Saturday.
The $350,000 Grade II Meadowlands Cup on Friday, Oct. 3, headlines an action-packed opening week. Probable starters for the race include Belmont winner Da'Tara and 2007 Grade III Pegasus champion Actin Good. Trained by Bobby Dibona, Actin Good posted his first win in five starts this season in an allowance on Sept. 7 at Monmouth. Also expected to run are Shopton Lane, who swept the Formal Gold and Skip Away Stakes this year at Monmouth, and Indy Wind, two-time winner of the Alysheba Stakes at the Meadowlands.
As part of the Meadowlands Cup Night festivities, the three jockeys who dueled in the inaugural Breeders' Cup Classic - Pat Day, Angel Cordero, Jr. and Laffit Pincay, Jr. - will be on hand to greet fans and sign autographs. Plus, 15 lucky fans and their guests will win dinner with the Hall of Fame jockeys in Pegasus Restaurant that night. Entry forms are available in the Meadowlands program and web site (http://www.meadowlandsracetrack.com). Fans can also enter by e-mailing with the subject line "Legends Tour Dinner" and should include their name, address and phone number in the e-mail. Winners will be drawn Tuesday, Sept. 30.
The week kicks off Tuesday, Sept. 30 with free Grandstand and Clubhouse admission. On Thursday, Oct. 2, all paid admissions (after 5:30 p.m.) receive a free Grandstand pass valid for the entire thoroughbred meet.
Gas card giveaways are featured every Friday night through Nov. 14. Each week, 20 winners will receive a $100 gas gift card. The 140 weekly winners will be entered into a grand prize drawing on Nov. 14 for $5,000, $3,000 and $1,000 gas cards. Drawing entry blanks will be available in the racing program, regional newspapers and Guest Service locations.
A handicapping tournament caps off the week on Saturday, Oct. 4. The top three finishers earn entry into the 2008 DRF/NTRA National Handicapping Championship at Red Rock Casino in Las Vegas. Contestants must register by Friday, October 3 to compete. Entry form and rules are available at http://www.meadowlandsracetrack.com.
MEADOWLANDS 2008 THOROUGHBRED MEET AT A GLANCE
* Racing Dates: Tuesday, September 30 through Saturday, November 15
* Post Times: Monday - Wednesday, 1:10 p.m.; Thursday-Saturday, 7 p.m.
* Admission: General admission - $1, Grandstand Reserved Seats - $1.50, Grandstand Box - $3, Raceworld Teletheater - $2 per session additional or $4 day/night additional, Clubhouse - $3, Clubhouse Teletheater - $2 additional, Pegasus - $5
* Parking: General parking - FREE; Clubhouse and Pegasus Valet - $5
* Simulcasting: Dark Sundays beginning September 9, due to New York Giants/Jets home games. Watch and wager at Monmouth Park or via Internet or phone through New Jersey Account Wagering.
* Graded Stakes: Fri., Oct. 3, $350,000 Meadowlands Cup Gr. II, 3yo and Up, One Mile & One Eighth; Fri., Oct. 10, $150,000 Cliff Hanger Stakes Gr. III, 3yo and Up, One Mile & One Sixteenth (Turf); Fri., Oct. 17, $150,000 Violet Stakes Gr. III, F&M, 3yo & Up, One Mile & One Sixteenth (Turf);Fri., Oct. 24, $200,000 Pegasus Stakes Gr. III, 3yo, One Mile & One Eighth
* Meadowlands Racing Insider -- The weekly online broadcast hosted by Mike Curci features interviews with trainers and jockeys and handicapping insights into the weekend stakes. Click http://www.meadowlandsracetrack.com/insider.asp.
* Live video streaming available for every racing program on http://www.meadowlandsracetrack.com.
* Online Survival Handicapping Contest - http://www.meadowlandsracetrack.com. Free online game, which runs the length of the meet, September 3 through November 10. Highest accumulated [mythical] bankroll wins the Grand Prize, a berth in the 2008 DRF/NTRA National Handicapping Challenge.
* Opening Day, Tuesday, September 30 - All guests receive a coupon for free admission.
* Grandstand Admission Pass Giveaway, Thursday, October 2 - All paid admissions (after 5:30 p.m.) receive a free Grandstand pass valid for the entire Thoroughbred meet.
* Meadowlands Cup, Friday, October 3 - The 31st running of the Grade II $350,000 Meadowlands Breeders' Cup for 3-year-olds and up.
* Breeders' Cup Legends Tour, Friday, October 3 - Hall of Fame Jockeys Laffit Pincay Jr., Pat Day, and Angel Cordero Jr. will greet fans and sign autographs. Fifteen (15) lucky fans will win dinner in Pegasus Restaurant with the three legendary reinsmen.
* Gas Card Giveaways, Every Friday night Oct. 3 - Nov. 14 - Each week, 20 winners will receive a $100 gas gift card. The 140 weekly winners will be entered into a grand prize drawing on Nov. 14 for $5,000, $3,000 and $1,000. Drawing entry blanks will be available in racing program and regional newspapers, as well as Guest Service locations.
* 2008 DRF/NTRA Qualifier, Saturday, October 4 - Top three finishers earn entry into the 2008 DRF/NTRA National Handicapping Challenge at Red Rock Casino in Las Vegas. Payouts to the Top 10. Registration must be received by Friday, October 3. Download the brochure at http://www.meadowlandsracetrack.com or call 201-842-5014/5015 for more info.
* Friday, October 24 - Breeders' Cup World Championship Simulcast [Day One]. Catch all the action as Breeders' Cup weekend kicks off at Santa Anita.
* Saturday, October 25 - Breeders' Cup World Championship Simulcast [Day Two]. Watch and wager on all the action live from Monmouth Park. Special Pegasus/Terraces dining options; check http://www.meadowlandsracetrack.com for updates.
* Saturday, November 15 - Closing Night. Free Grandstand/Clubhouse admission. Discounts on food concessions. Bounceback pass for Holiday Harness Meet opening.
Read more articles in the Meadowlands category.