Thursday, April 02, 2009
Special Events Offered from Start to Finish
Lexington, KY (April 2, 2009) – Keeneland will present world-class Thoroughbred racing during its 2009 spring season from April 3-24 and will offer fans a variety of events, from handicapping contests to an appearance by the famous Budweiser Clydesdales to fundraisers for the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund to a day welcoming members of the military.
Opening day on Friday is College Scholarship Day, which is expected to draw thousands of students who attend colleges and universities in the area. Admission is free for students who present a valid college ID and enter through the East Gate. Full-time students also may register at the green and white tent located directly under the large TV screen in the paddock area to win one of ten $1,000 college scholarships to be given away after each race. One scholarship will be earmarked especially for students who have an affiliation with the horse industry.
The Kentucky Thoroughbred Association is a sponsor of College Scholarship Day, which has surpassed $300,000 in scholarship aid to college students at giveaways at Thoroughbred racetracks in Kentucky. KTA established its scholarship program in 2000.
On Sunday, April 19, Keeneland will hold Military Day at the Races, presented by Windstream. All active and inactive members of the military and their families will receive free general admission with a military ID at any pass gate. Fans are encouraged to be at the track at noon to help Keeneland welcome 1,000 troops from Fort Knox who are in basic training.
Throughout the afternoon, soldiers will have access to a phone bank, courtesy of Windstream, to call loved ones. Fort Knox soldiers also will receive a disposable camera, courtesy of Wal-Mart.
Keeneland Spring Events Calendar
* Friday, April 3: College Scholarship Day. Full-time college students can register to win one of ten $1,000 college scholarships. One scholarship recipient will be announced after each race.
* Friday, April 3, and Saturday, April 4: Signing by noted photographer James Archambeault. Friday, April 3, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, April 4, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
* Saturdays, April 4, 11 and 18: Breakfast With the Works, featuring Southern-style breakfast and children's activities, beginning at 7 a.m. Program includes trackside commentary on Thoroughbreds as they exercise and a show-and-tell by a member of the racing industry. An equine-related demonstration in the paddock follows at 8:45 a.m.
* Saturdays: Free handicapping seminar beginning at 11:30 a.m. on the ground floor of the grandstand adjacent to the paddock.
* Saturdays: Meet and Greet. Fans can mingle with jockeys and special guests in special sessions after the noon playing of the national anthem for 20-30 minutes.
* Sunday, April 5: Police and Firefighter Day. Keeneland will salute police and firefighters, who receive free general admission and access to reserved grandstand section with their badges or ID.
* Wednesday, April 8 - Wednesday, April 15: Budweiser Clydesdales Sweepstakes. Register to win a personalized photo session with the Budweiser Clydesdales at Keeneland, along with lunch for four in Keeneland's Equestrian Room and a trip to St. Louis to tour Anheuser-Busch.
* Wednesdays, April 8, 15 and 22: Keeneland Handicapping Contest, presented by Formulator Web. Place a mythical $2 win and place wager on Keeneland races 3-9. Entry fee is $10 with a guaranteed $2,500 pool. Limit three entries per person. First 200 participants receive a free Daily Racing Form.
* Friday, April 10: Maker's Mark bottle signing with University of Kentucky football coach Rich Brooks. The Maker’s Mark/Keeneland charitable bottle series supports projects at the University of Kentucky. Begins at 6:30 a.m. Limit two bottles per person.
* Friday, April 10: University of Kentucky Symphony Orchestra's Music of the Horse Concert in the Keeneland walking ring at 11:30 a.m. Proceeds from CD sales benefit the UK Symphony Orchestra and The Keeneland Foundation's charitable giving program.
* Friday, April 10: Friday Pick 4: $200,000 guaranteed pool.
* Friday, April 10, and Saturday, April 11: Book signing by Keeneland Chairman Emeritus James E. “Ted” Bassett III and Eclipse Award-winning writer Bill Mooney, co-authors of Bassett's new autobiography, Ted Bassett: My Life.
* Saturday, April 11: All Stakes Pick 4. $200,000 guaranteed pool.
* Wednesday, April 15, to Friday, April 17: Budweiser Clydesdales. Photo opportunity at the Grandstand South Gate from noon – 1 p.m.
* Friday, April 17: Keeneland Jockey Colony Signing. Meet Keeneland jockeys from 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. for an autograph signing adjacent to the paddock. Benefits the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund.
* Friday, April 17: Riders Up! Karaoke-style talent competition among Keeneland jockeys and retired riding legends. Hosted by Lexington's own Tony Award-nominated actress Laura Bell Bundy. Judges include Eddie Montgomery of Montgomery Gentry and Racing Hall of Fame Trainer D. Wayne Lukas. Benefits the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund. At the Keeneland Entertainment Center. To purchase tickets, visit http://www.jockeysguild.com.
* Saturday, April 18: On-track appearance by the Budweiser Clydesdales.
* Sunday, April 19: Military Day at the Races, presented by Windstream. At noon, Keeneland will welcome some 1,000 troops from the Fort Knox Armor Brigade. All active and inactive members of the military, including family members, with military ID will receive free general admission.
* Wednesday, April 22: United Way Day. Keeneland will donate all gate receipts to the United Way of the Bluegrass.
* Thursday, April 23: Grey Goose Hat Giveaway. The first 1,000 patrons with a paid admission will receive a Grey Goose Cap.
Read more articles in the Keeneland - Live category.