Friday, June 07 2013
Belmont Stakes Notes
• Orb ‘good to go’ after morning gallop; McGaughey reflects on past five weeks
• Lukas, aiming for fifth Belmont victory, reminisces about previous winners
• Pletcher alters training routine for his quintet, credits Lukas for learning the value of being organized
• Peter Pan winner Freedom Child has an easy day
• Déjà vu all over again for Stewart
• McLaughlin draws positives from Incognito’s Peter Pan
• Early morning for Vyjack
• McPeek expects Frac Daddy to show speed from inside
• ‘Giant’ finishes preparations for Belmont Stakes
• Kitchingman rolling the dice with Let Em Shine in G2 Woody Stephens
• NYRA creates monument marking Secretariat’s margin of victory in 1973 Belmont
Thursday, June 06 2013
UNUSUAL HOTTIE VERSUS 11 IN REDONDO BEACH
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (June 6, 2013)—Unusual Hottie will aim for her second stakes win of the Spring/Summer meet in the $70,000 Redondo Beach Sunday at Betfair Hollywood Park.
Nipissing tops a field of eight for Sunday’s Woodbine Oaks
Spring in the Air, Nipissing tops a field of eight for Sunday’s Woodbine Oaks, presented by Budweiser; Plate Trial also on Sunday at Woodbine
TORONTO, June 6 - John Oxley’s Spring in the Air, last year’s Sovereign Award winner as Canada’s top juvenile filly, heads a field of eight Canadian-bred three-year-old fillies for Sunday’s $500,000 Woodbine Oaks, presented by Budweiser.
Read more articles in the Woodbine
Belmont Stakes Notes - June 6, 2013
• Orb continues to instill confidence in McGaughey
• For Lukas, fortune favors the bold
• Pletcher’s five Belmont Stakes entrants have routine gallops
• Vyjack returns to track after breeze
• McLaughlin happy with Incognito
• G2 Peter Pan winner Freedom Child generating ‘buzz’
• Golden Soul has strong gallop
• McPeek gives Frac Daddy ‘Belmont gallop’
• Giant Finish “doing fine” after Tuesday breeze
Barn Notes: Thursday, June 6, 2013
STIDHAM’S TREND ANYTHING BUT A FAD
The only thing passing about Trend in Wednesday’s featured eighth race was his whereabouts in relation to the field and the wire. Stone Farm’s strapping homebred son of Grade I winner Sligo Bay dismantled a group of impressive stakes-performing allowance horses en route to a facile 2 ¼-length victory.
Busy Pletcher Aims Trio at Belmont Day Sprint Stakes
ELMONT, N.Y. – Before saddling a record five horses in the Grade 1, $1 million Belmont Stakes, trainer Todd Pletcher will send out top contenders in each of the supporting sprint stakes on Saturday’s Belmont undercard.
Mizdirection Comes East, Stretches Out for Just a Game
ELMONT, N.Y. – Mizdirection, winner of eight stakes, including six sprints, will stretch out to one mile and take on a deep cast of competitors in Saturday’s Grade 1, $500,000 Longines Just a Game for fillies and mares on the turf.
Point of Entry Poised to Take Manhattan
ELMONT, N.Y. – If any of the opposition has it in mind to upset the imposing Point of Entry on Saturday in the 141st running of the Grade 1, $500,000 Woodford Reserve Manhattan Handicap, they had better be ready to run a career-best race.
Round 3 for Orb, Oxbow in Crowded Belmont Stakes
ELMONT, N.Y. – When Kentucky Derby winner Orb and Preakness winner Oxbow square off in Saturday’s 145th running of the Grade 1, $1 million Belmont Stakes at Belmont Park, they’ll have plenty of company.
Belmont Stakes Post Position Draw Quotes
ELMONT, N.Y. – Following are quotes from the post position draw for Saturday’s 145th running of the Grade 1, $1 million Belmont Stakes:
Orb (3-1), post position 5
Trainer Shug McGaughey: “I just didn’t want to get down on the inside where maybe we might get stuck around the first turn, like we sort of did in the Preakness. I said middle, and that’s pretty much the middle.”
Florida Derby Winner Orb Morning-Line Favorite in Belmont Stakes
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL - Kentucky Derby and Besilu Stables Florida Derby winner Orb was made the 3-1 morning line favorite Wednesday for Saturday's 145th running of the Belmont Stakes (G1).
DAISY DEVINE TOPS SATURDAY’S EARLY TIMES MINT JULEP
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Wednesday, June 5, 2013) – Daisy Devine, winner of the 2012 Jenny Wiley (Grade I), will carry the top weight of 120 pounds when she takes on five fillies and mares in the 37th running of the $100,000-added Early Times Mint Julep Handicap (GIII) on Saturday at Churchill Downs.