Saturday, June 11 2016
The Woody Stephens (G2) Quotes
Dallas Stewart, winning trainer of Tom's Ready (No. 9): "That was a great ride, wasn't it? The way he [ jockey Joel Rosario] rode this horse, was like an [Angel] Cordero ride. He came running. I took a shot taking the blinkers off because he looks around. I took them off for his work and he worked good. It's like Wayne Lukas always taught us; don't be afraid to take a shot. Make a change sometimes and see what happens."
The Ogden Phipps (G1) Quotes
Kiaran McLaughlin, winning trainer of Cavorting (No. 4): "Her pedigree indicated that she wanted to go further. Being by Bernardini, her third start we tried the Frizette, but it was a funny racetrack that day a little wet. The jockey did a great job. One turn is great and we're real happy to win the Phipps two years in a row. Sorry Dinny [Phipps] isn't here with us but it was a great win."
The Easy Goer Quotes
Chad Brown, winning trainer of Economic Model (No. 5): "We've always liked this horse a lot. His race at Tampa was just so disappointing, but it is becoming clear now it was just the track over there. I've never lost confidence in this horse stretching out as well. He's always acted like a horse who wants to run further. We'll stretch him out from here."
Friday, June 10 2016
Da Big Hoss breaks seven figures with Belmont Gold Cup victory
ELMONT, N.Y. - Picked up at the claims box for a bargain tag of $50,000 less than a year ago by Skaychai Racing and trainer Mike Maker, Da Big Hoss became thoroughbred racing's newest millionaire Friday at Belmont Park with a 1 1/2-length victory on the Widener turf course in the $300,000 Belmont Gold Cup Invitational.
Chad Brown does New York his way as Dacita leada 1-2-3 finish
ELMONT, N.Y. - Dacita spearheaded a sweep of the top three positions in the $500,000 New York Stakes for Chad Brown, rallying from off the pace to edge stablemates Sea Calisi and Guapaza in the Grade 2 turf race at Belmont Park on Friday.
Dacita, the last horse to beat champion mare Tepin, returned to top form to take the 73rd running of the New York under new rider Irad Ortiz Jr., prevailing by three-quarters of a length over odds-on favorite Sea Calisi, who trailed for the first mile and was stymied along the inside with Jose Ortiz in the stretch.
The True North Quotes
Charlton Baker, winning owner and trainer of Joking (No. 2):
"I'm very impressed. He's doing great, but today was [a] step up. I didn't know how he'd handle it. I know he's doing super and then again the track was fast all day. It seemed like speed was dominating."
On his thinking down the stretch:
"I was hoping he'd get there. He gives you that kick. He's got that killer instinct now that he wants to get there."
Belmont Park Notes 6/10
• Favorite's role suits Team Exaggerator in G1 Belmont Stakes
• Stewart right at home with pair of Belmont Stakes contenders
• Belmont newcomer Geroux has eye on Saratoga
• Irish Rookie ready for her close-up
• Trojan Nation connections hope third time is a charm
• Lani's connections hoping for fast track for G1 Belmont
• Cassidy makes New York return with G1 Just a Game pair
- From a statistical standpoint, favorites have fared well in the Belmont Stakes. Sixty-two of its first 147 runnings were won by the bettors' choice, a 42 percent success rate.
Last year, Triple Crown champion American Pharoah became the 13th of 34 odds-on favorites to win the Belmont (38 percent) since mutuels came to New York in 1940.
Thursday, June 09 2016
Belmont Park Notes 6/9
• Desormeaux sees Exaggerator 'sitting on a huge race' for G1 Belmont
• All systems go for Governor Malibu
• Less is more Thursday for Belmont hopefuls Brody's Cause, Cherry Wine
• Pletcher pleased with Belmont posts for Destin, Stradivari
• Suddenbreakingnews ready for Belmont engagement
• Team Nyquist rooting for Exaggerator in Saturday's Belmont Stakes
• Under the Wire: Lani; Creator, Gettysburg
- Even on his day off, Grade 1 Preakness Stakes winner Exaggerator, the 9-5 program favorite for Saturday's Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes presented by NYRA Bets, showed plenty of energy while walking for trainer Keith Desormeaux on a sunny but blustery Thursday morning at Belmont Park.
Wednesday, June 08 2016
Full field for salty edition of G1 Met Mile
ELMONT, N.Y. - Trainers Todd Pletcher and Kiaran McLaughlin are taking the triple threat tact for the Grade 1, $1.25 million Mohegan Sun Metropolitan Handicap, with each sending out a trio of runners in the full field of 13 tough and talented horses contesting the 123rd running of the race at Belmont Park Saturday.
Tuesday, June 07 2016
Belmont Park Notes 6/7
• Desormeaux rides Exaggerator Tuesday in final work for G1 Belmont
• One year later, Baffert 'glad to be a part of history'
• Hennig hopes that lightning will strike twice with Strike Charmer
• Pletcher weighs post position relevance in Belmont
• 'All is good' for Creator, Gettysburg
- Reunited with Hall of Fame jockey Kent Desormeaux for the first time since their 3 ½-length victory in the Grade 1 Preakness Stakes May 21, Exaggerator breezed five furlongs Tuesday morning in his final work prior to Saturday's 148th running of the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes.
Belmont Park Notes 6/6
• Gettysburg joins G1 Belmont field
• Creator works 'nice and steady' for Belmont
• Belmont-bound Suddenbreakingnews stretches his legs ahead of trip
• Desormeaux watches Exaggerator's Monday gallop for G1 Belmont
• Gunther family eyes Belmont with homebred Stradivari
• Europeans clear quarantine; Sloane Avenue on target for G1 Met Mile
• Belmont contenders Brody's Cause, Cherry Wine return to track Monday
• Lani team watching weather, could breeze Tuesday
- Early Monday afternoon, trainer Steve Asmussen informed New York Racing Association officials that Gettysburg, a horse he recently received from WinStar Farm LLC to train, will be entered in the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes June 11.
Sunday, June 05 2016
Belmont Park Notes 6/5
• Team McLaughlin takes aim at Belmont Racing Festival Stakes
• Stewart happy with G1 Belmont contenders Forever d'Oro, Seeking the Soul
• Sheer Drama arrives Sunday for Saturday's G1 Ogden Phipps
• Clement weighs G3 Jaipur options, Belmont hopeful Governor Malibu exits work in good order
• Fields coming together for Belmont Stakes Day
• Under the wire: Belmont contenders Destin, Stradivari walk Sunday
- While multiple graded stakes-winning 3-year-old Mohaymen gets some time off before launching a summer campaign, trainer Kiaran McLaughlin will be busy with several stakes runners during the Belmont Stakes Racing Festival.