Friday, June 10 2016
Chad Brown does New York his way as Dacita leada 1-2-3 finish
ELMONT, N.Y. - Dacita spearheaded a sweep of the top three positions in the $500,000 New York Stakes for Chad Brown, rallying from off the pace to edge stablemates Sea Calisi and Guapaza in the Grade 2 turf race at Belmont Park on Friday.
Dacita, the last horse to beat champion mare Tepin, returned to top form to take the 73rd running of the New York under new rider Irad Ortiz Jr., prevailing by three-quarters of a length over odds-on favorite Sea Calisi, who trailed for the first mile and was stymied along the inside with Jose Ortiz in the stretch.
The True North Quotes
Charlton Baker, winning owner and trainer of Joking (No. 2):
"I'm very impressed. He's doing great, but today was [a] step up. I didn't know how he'd handle it. I know he's doing super and then again the track was fast all day. It seemed like speed was dominating."
On his thinking down the stretch:
"I was hoping he'd get there. He gives you that kick. He's got that killer instinct now that he wants to get there."
Belmont Park Notes 6/10
• Favorite's role suits Team Exaggerator in G1 Belmont Stakes
• Stewart right at home with pair of Belmont Stakes contenders
• Belmont newcomer Geroux has eye on Saratoga
• Irish Rookie ready for her close-up
• Trojan Nation connections hope third time is a charm
• Lani's connections hoping for fast track for G1 Belmont
• Cassidy makes New York return with G1 Just a Game pair
- From a statistical standpoint, favorites have fared well in the Belmont Stakes. Sixty-two of its first 147 runnings were won by the bettors' choice, a 42 percent success rate.
Last year, Triple Crown champion American Pharoah became the 13th of 34 odds-on favorites to win the Belmont (38 percent) since mutuels came to New York in 1940.
Thursday, June 09 2016
Belmont Park Notes 6/9
• Desormeaux sees Exaggerator 'sitting on a huge race' for G1 Belmont
• All systems go for Governor Malibu
• Less is more Thursday for Belmont hopefuls Brody's Cause, Cherry Wine
• Pletcher pleased with Belmont posts for Destin, Stradivari
• Suddenbreakingnews ready for Belmont engagement
• Team Nyquist rooting for Exaggerator in Saturday's Belmont Stakes
• Under the Wire: Lani; Creator, Gettysburg
- Even on his day off, Grade 1 Preakness Stakes winner Exaggerator, the 9-5 program favorite for Saturday's Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes presented by NYRA Bets, showed plenty of energy while walking for trainer Keith Desormeaux on a sunny but blustery Thursday morning at Belmont Park.
Wednesday, June 08 2016
Full field for salty edition of G1 Met Mile
ELMONT, N.Y. - Trainers Todd Pletcher and Kiaran McLaughlin are taking the triple threat tact for the Grade 1, $1.25 million Mohegan Sun Metropolitan Handicap, with each sending out a trio of runners in the full field of 13 tough and talented horses contesting the 123rd running of the race at Belmont Park Saturday.
Tuesday, June 07 2016
Belmont Park Notes 6/7
• Desormeaux rides Exaggerator Tuesday in final work for G1 Belmont
• One year later, Baffert 'glad to be a part of history'
• Hennig hopes that lightning will strike twice with Strike Charmer
• Pletcher weighs post position relevance in Belmont
• 'All is good' for Creator, Gettysburg
- Reunited with Hall of Fame jockey Kent Desormeaux for the first time since their 3 ½-length victory in the Grade 1 Preakness Stakes May 21, Exaggerator breezed five furlongs Tuesday morning in his final work prior to Saturday's 148th running of the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes.
Belmont Park Notes 6/6
• Gettysburg joins G1 Belmont field
• Creator works 'nice and steady' for Belmont
• Belmont-bound Suddenbreakingnews stretches his legs ahead of trip
• Desormeaux watches Exaggerator's Monday gallop for G1 Belmont
• Gunther family eyes Belmont with homebred Stradivari
• Europeans clear quarantine; Sloane Avenue on target for G1 Met Mile
• Belmont contenders Brody's Cause, Cherry Wine return to track Monday
• Lani team watching weather, could breeze Tuesday
- Early Monday afternoon, trainer Steve Asmussen informed New York Racing Association officials that Gettysburg, a horse he recently received from WinStar Farm LLC to train, will be entered in the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes June 11.
Sunday, June 05 2016
Belmont Park Notes 6/5
• Team McLaughlin takes aim at Belmont Racing Festival Stakes
• Stewart happy with G1 Belmont contenders Forever d'Oro, Seeking the Soul
• Sheer Drama arrives Sunday for Saturday's G1 Ogden Phipps
• Clement weighs G3 Jaipur options, Belmont hopeful Governor Malibu exits work in good order
• Fields coming together for Belmont Stakes Day
• Under the wire: Belmont contenders Destin, Stradivari walk Sunday
- While multiple graded stakes-winning 3-year-old Mohaymen gets some time off before launching a summer campaign, trainer Kiaran McLaughlin will be busy with several stakes runners during the Belmont Stakes Racing Festival.
Friday, June 03 2016
Belmont Park Notes 6/3
• Destin, Stradivari wrap up G1 Belmont preparations
• Belmont-bound Cherry Wine, Brody's Cause gallop ahead of Saturday breezes
• Governor Malibu turns in 'strong work' for Belmont
• Exaggerator gallops on Big Sandy
• Ironicus, Carrumba to represent McGaughey in Manhattan, Ogden Phipps
• Maiden Trojan Nation confirmed for Belmont
• Twilight Eclipse, Ready for Eye ready for Belmont Stakes Racing Festival spots
• Strike Charmer primed for G1 Just A Game
• Upstart works for G1 Met Mile
- Beating the light rain that began to fall at Belmont Park Friday morning, Todd Pletcher worked both his Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes hopefuls, Destin and Stradivari, at 7:45 a.m. on the training track.
Thursday, May 26 2016
Mighty Mo headlines Paradise Creek
ELMONT, N.Y. - Woodhaven runner-up Mighty Mo is set to take on a field of up-and-coming grass sprinters in Saturday's featured race at Belmont Park, the $100,000 Paradise Creek for 3-year-olds at seven furlongs on the Widener turf course.
Mighty Mo, owned by Jake Ballis and Rashard Lewis, has been near-perfect since joining Hall of Famer Bill Mott's barn after his Saratoga Race Course debut last summer. Making his first start in more than five months in March at Gulfstream Park, the Uncle Mo colt raced near the pace and held off a late challenge to break his maiden by a length.
Sunday, May 15 2016
Unified stays unbeaten with G2 Peter Pan victory
ELMONT, N.Y. - Centennial Farms' Unified surged to the lead heading into the stretch and then held off a late challenge from Governor Malibu to win Saturday's Grade 2, $200,000 Peter Pan for 3-year-olds at Belmont Park.
The victory was the third in as many starts and second in a graded stake for the bay son of Candy Ride, who won the Grade 3 Bay Shore at Aqueduct Racetrack in April in front-running fashion.
Wake Forest valiant in G1 Man o’ War
ELMONT, N.Y. - European import Wake Forest unleashed a tenacious rally from the back of the pack in his Belmont Park debut to grab his first North American win and top a Chad Brown-trained exacta with a one-length victory over stablemate Money Multiplier in the Grade 1, $400,000 Man o' War on Saturday.
Off a step slow at the break, German-bred Wake Forest saved ground at the back of the nine-horse field, trailing an early pace set by Go Around who led the group through an opening quarter-mile in 24.24 seconds. Tracked closely by Money Multiplier, the leader covered the half-mile in 49.24 and six furlongs in 1:13.83.