Saturday, June 07 2014
Woody Stephens presented by RTN (G2) Quotes
Jim Barnes, assistant to Bob Baffert, winning trainer of Bayern (No. 9): "You just have to draw a line through the Preakness. He lost all chance at the start. We were up against it here because we drew the one hole. He left the gate running, set some serious fractions, and finished very strong."
Jaipur Invitational (G3) Quotes
Wesley Ward, winning trainer of Undrafted (No. 6): "He ran fantastic. He ran beautiful. I was really happy. We're headed to the July Cup at Newmarket."
"I thought [Velazquez] rode him perfectly. I told him to be a cool-sitter and a go-getter."
Brooklyn Invitational (G2) Quotes
Shug McGaughey, winning trainer of Norumbega (No. 8): "The slow early pace wasn't a big concern. He had been training really well and we expected him to run a big race. We're not sure where he'll go next because it's tough to find another 1 1 /2-mile race."
Easy Goer Stakes Quotes
Linda Rice, winning trainer of Kid Cruz (No. 4): "This is terrific. He needed it, we needed it, and we want to keep him going in the right direction. When they put up the first quarter in :22 3/5, and the half in 45 and change, I thought it was our race to lose. He made an inside-outside move. In the past, he's been making a big, sweeping move and losing ground on the turn, but [jockey] Irad [Ortiz] saved ground on the inside, made the inside-outside move, and then when I saw the half, it was our race to lose."
"We'll probably point to the Dwyer (G2, July 5) and keep trying to let him learn his craft."
Friday, June 06 2014
Belmont Gold Cup Invitational Quotes
Todd Pletcher, winning trainer of Charming Kitten (No. 3): "[John Velazquez] and I were on the same page. I told him to break from the gate and gallop for two miles. I wanted to try to leave him relaxed in the post parade and, hopefully, leave there settled. He gave him a great ride; he had him covered up, and [Charming Kitten] relaxed really well. A great trip."
Thursday, June 05 2014
Monster of the Mid-Atlantic, Ben’s Cat, Storms New York for the Jaipur
ELMONT, N.Y. - He has made his name and fortune terrorizing turf sprinters in the Mid-Atlantic, and now win machine Ben's Cat will make his first appearance at Belmont Park on Saturday as the 5-2 morning-line favorite in the Grade 3, $300,000 Jaipur Invitational Stakes.
Wednesday, June 04 2014
Palace Malice takes on Churchill Downs Stakes top four in G1 Met Mile
ELMONT, N.Y. - Palace Malice will take on a deep field, including the top four finishers from the Grade 2 Churchill Downs Stakes, in the Grade 1, $1.25 million Metropolitan Handicap on Saturday at Belmont Park.
The Met Mile, previously contested on Memorial Day, was carded as the ninth race on the 13-race card and is a Breeders' Cup Challenge "Win and You're In Race" in the Dirt Mile division.
Racing’s top fillies collide in G1 Ogden Phipps
ELMONT, N.Y. - The trainers of the top three older female racehorses in the country all know that the Grade 1, $1 million Ogden Phipps Handicap is a race that marks champions, and so Beholder, Close Hatches and Princess of Sylmar will meet in what shapes up to be a spellbinding showdown Saturday at Belmont Park.
Saturday, May 31 2014
Belmont Park Notes: Saturday, May 31
• Tonalist puts in final work before Belmont Stakes
• Belmont Stakes hopeful Samraat tunes up at Aqueduct Racetrack
• Social Inclusion turns in fast three-furlong breeze on Saturday; final decision on Belmont Stakes or Woody Stephens to be announced tomorrow
• General a Rod joins Belmont Stakes field following Saturday workout at Churchill Downs
• Medal Count breezes at Churchill Downs, arrives for Belmont Thursday
Friday, May 30 2014
Belmont Park Notes, Friday, May 30
• Belmont Stakes hopeful Commanding Curve arrives at Belmont
• Beholder ships in, ready for G1 Ogden Phipps
• Goldencents arrives in Belmont, targeting G1 Met Mile
• Kid Cruz breezes six furlongs in 1:14.53, still possible for Belmont Stakes
• Grade 1's on Belmont Stakes undercard taking shape
Monday, May 26 2014
Jack Milton propels Pletcher to top of all-time earnings list
ELMONT, N.Y. - Jack Milton pushed six-time Eclipse Award winning trainer Todd Pletcher to the top of the North American all-time earnings list on Monday with an emphatic 2 ¾-length victory in the Grade 3, $300,000 Poker on Belmont Park's Widener turf course.
Belmont Park Notes: Monday, May 26
• Matterhorn purchased by Eclipse Thoroughbred Partners, now possible for Belmont Stakes; Comissioner, Palace Malice, and Princess of Sylmar emerge from Sunday works in good shape
• Matuszak breezes for G1 Belmont, Close Hatches for G1 Phipps
• Wicked Strong exits one-mile breeze in good shape
• Tonalist on key following Sunday breeze