Saturday, June 06 2015
Acorn (G1) Quotes
Todd Pletcher, winning trainer of Curalina (No. 6): "She's a filly we'd had high hopes for for a long time. We felt like she was one of our best 2-year-old fillies last year, unfortunately she had some baby stuff that she needed some time off for. She came back and ran impressively in both starts, [and] we came here with the Acorn in mind and then she made it an easy decision by how well she trained.
Friday, June 05 2015
Larry Rivelli, winning trainer of Cocked and Loaded (No. 1):
"We bought this horse out of his last race [at Keeneland]. He had been training great and I had a lot of confidence in him, which is why we brought him here from Chicago. We did a little gate work with him. I told the kid to sit behind horses and he rode him great. I couldn't have been happier. He broke so sharp today and was in front, and the kid [Ortiz] rode a great race because nine times out of ten they probably would have wanted to keep him on the lead. Going five-and-a-half the rider would normally think he'd want to hold his position. But he buried him back there and then made his move."
Jersey Girl Quotes
Kiaran McLaughlin, winning trainer of Cavorting (No. 5): "She's another one that's taken a little bit of work because she ran poorly here in the slop and then at Gulfstream. Luckily, we have patient owners that allowed us to figure her out. She broke sharp and then [jockey Irad Ortiz, Jr.] settled her back because they were going so fast. She went a little wide, but it worked out well. She's a nice filly; it's nice to get her back in the winner's circle."
Wednesday, June 03 2015
Shook Up slight favorite in tough G1 Acorn
ELMONT, N.Y. - Grade 1 Kentucky Oaks runner-up Shook Up has been installed as a mild 7-2 favorite in a competitive field of 12 for the 85th running of the Grade 1, $750,000 Acorn Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at a mile on Saturday at Belmont Park.
Tonalist takes Belmont win streak into loaded G1 Metropolitan Handicap
ELMONT, N.Y. - One year after his upset victory over California Chrome in the 146th Belmont Stakes, Tonalist returns to Belmont Park as the horse to beat in a star-studded renewal of the Grade 1, $1.25 million Metropolitan Handicap.
The 122nd running of the Met Mile is one of six Grade 1 races, nine graded stakes and 10 overall stakes on Saturday's 13-race Belmont Stakes Day program, capped by the $1.5 million 'Test of the Champion,' where American Pharoah seeks to become the 12th Triple Crown winner and first since 1978.
Tuesday, June 02 2015
Belmont Park Notes 6/2
• Keen Ice keen to go for Belmont Stakes, joining American Pharoah en route to Belmont Park
• Stewart in familiar spot with Tale of Verve in Belmont
• Clement looking forward to Grade 1 Met Mile with Tonalist
• Belmont Stakes contender Frammento leaves Saratoga for Long Island
• McLaughlin loaded with stakes runners for 'big weekend'
ELMONT, N.Y. - Keen Ice, who will carry the colors of Jerry Crawford's Donegal Racing in the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes, wrapped up the last of his works Tuesday morning when the bay colt traveled four furlongs in 50:20 over a fast Churchill Downs main track.
Friday, May 29 2015
Belmont Park Notes 5/29
• Pletcher trio work toward G1 Belmont Stakes
• Frosted 'all set' for G1 Belmont Stakes
• Belmont Stakes winner Tonalist breezes for G1 Met Mile
ELMONT, N.Y. - Following the workouts Friday morning from a trio Todd Pletcher-trained horses for the $1.5 million Belmont Stakes, it appears the two-time Belmont Stakes winning trainer will be represented by all three in the final leg of the Triple Crown on June 6.
Wednesday, May 27 2015
Belmont Park Notes: Wednesday, May 27
• Keen Ice makes final preparations for G1 Belmont Stakes
• Ortiz gets familiar with Belmont Stakes mount Mubtaahij
• Fields taking shape for first two days of Belmont Stakes Racing Festival
ELMONT, N.Y. - Donegal Racing's Keen Ice turned in his final major work at his Churchill Downs base this morning for the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes and a showdown with Triple Crown hopeful American Pharoah.
Tuesday, May 26 2015
Belmont Park Notes 5/26
• Triple Crown hopeful American Pharoah breezes at Churchill Downs; War Story out of Belmont
• Untapable, Shook Up breeze Monday for Belmont Stakes Day assignments for Asmussen
ELMONT, N.Y. - Triple Crown hopeful American Pharoah is likely to face nine contenders in the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes on June 6: Carpe Diem, Conquest Curlinate, Frammento, Frosted, Keen Ice, Madefromlucky, Materiality, Mubtaahij and Tale of Verve.
Sunday, May 24 2015
Belmont Park Notes 5/24
• Stewart has high hopes for Belmont contender Tale of Verve
• Mubtaahij breezes for Belmont Stakes bid
• Honor Code star of McGaughey's Belmont Stakes Racing Festival workers
• Brown loaded with G1 winners for Belmont Stakes Racing Festival
ELMONT, N.Y. - Trainer Dallas Stewart could not have been more pleased with the appearance of Belmont Stakes contender Tale of Verve Sunday morning as he watched the Preakness runner-up grazing outside the barn following a 1 ½-mile gallop around Belmont Park's main oval.
Friday, May 22 2015
Belmont Park Notes 5/22
• Pletcher cohorts work toward Belmont Stakes Racing Festival assignments
• Frosted tunes up for Belmont with G1 Met Mile hopeful Tamarkuz
• Last year's Belmont Stakes winner, Tonalist, works for Met Mile
ELMONT, N.Y. - Trainer Todd Pletcher sent out a veritable "Who's Who" of contenders for their penultimate workouts this morning at Belmont Park for the upcoming Belmont Stakes Racing Festival on June 4-6.
Thursday, May 21 2015
Belmont Park Notes 5/21
• Frosted confirmed for G1 Belmont Stakes on June 6
• Wicked Strong, Effinex eye Belmont Stakes Day assignments
• Cruz scores first win as a journeyman
ELMONT, N.Y. - Godolphin Racing's Frosted is now slated to challenge Triple Crown hopeful American Pharoah in the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes on June 6, the colt's trainer, Kiaran McLaughlin, announced Thursday morning.