Tuesday, June 07 2016
Belmont Park Notes 6/6
• Gettysburg joins G1 Belmont field
• Creator works 'nice and steady' for Belmont
• Belmont-bound Suddenbreakingnews stretches his legs ahead of trip
• Desormeaux watches Exaggerator's Monday gallop for G1 Belmont
• Gunther family eyes Belmont with homebred Stradivari
• Europeans clear quarantine; Sloane Avenue on target for G1 Met Mile
• Belmont contenders Brody's Cause, Cherry Wine return to track Monday
• Lani team watching weather, could breeze Tuesday
- Early Monday afternoon, trainer Steve Asmussen informed New York Racing Association officials that Gettysburg, a horse he recently received from WinStar Farm LLC to train, will be entered in the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes June 11.
Sunday, June 05 2016
Belmont Park Notes 6/5
• Team McLaughlin takes aim at Belmont Racing Festival Stakes
• Stewart happy with G1 Belmont contenders Forever d'Oro, Seeking the Soul
• Sheer Drama arrives Sunday for Saturday's G1 Ogden Phipps
• Clement weighs G3 Jaipur options, Belmont hopeful Governor Malibu exits work in good order
• Fields coming together for Belmont Stakes Day
• Under the wire: Belmont contenders Destin, Stradivari walk Sunday
- While multiple graded stakes-winning 3-year-old Mohaymen gets some time off before launching a summer campaign, trainer Kiaran McLaughlin will be busy with several stakes runners during the Belmont Stakes Racing Festival.
Friday, June 03 2016
Belmont Park Notes 6/3
• Destin, Stradivari wrap up G1 Belmont preparations
• Belmont-bound Cherry Wine, Brody's Cause gallop ahead of Saturday breezes
• Governor Malibu turns in 'strong work' for Belmont
• Exaggerator gallops on Big Sandy
• Ironicus, Carrumba to represent McGaughey in Manhattan, Ogden Phipps
• Maiden Trojan Nation confirmed for Belmont
• Twilight Eclipse, Ready for Eye ready for Belmont Stakes Racing Festival spots
• Strike Charmer primed for G1 Just A Game
• Upstart works for G1 Met Mile
- Beating the light rain that began to fall at Belmont Park Friday morning, Todd Pletcher worked both his Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes hopefuls, Destin and Stradivari, at 7:45 a.m. on the training track.
Thursday, May 26 2016
Mighty Mo headlines Paradise Creek
ELMONT, N.Y. - Woodhaven runner-up Mighty Mo is set to take on a field of up-and-coming grass sprinters in Saturday's featured race at Belmont Park, the $100,000 Paradise Creek for 3-year-olds at seven furlongs on the Widener turf course.
Mighty Mo, owned by Jake Ballis and Rashard Lewis, has been near-perfect since joining Hall of Famer Bill Mott's barn after his Saratoga Race Course debut last summer. Making his first start in more than five months in March at Gulfstream Park, the Uncle Mo colt raced near the pace and held off a late challenge to break his maiden by a length.
Sunday, May 15 2016
Unified stays unbeaten with G2 Peter Pan victory
ELMONT, N.Y. - Centennial Farms' Unified surged to the lead heading into the stretch and then held off a late challenge from Governor Malibu to win Saturday's Grade 2, $200,000 Peter Pan for 3-year-olds at Belmont Park.
The victory was the third in as many starts and second in a graded stake for the bay son of Candy Ride, who won the Grade 3 Bay Shore at Aqueduct Racetrack in April in front-running fashion.
Wake Forest valiant in G1 Man o’ War
ELMONT, N.Y. - European import Wake Forest unleashed a tenacious rally from the back of the pack in his Belmont Park debut to grab his first North American win and top a Chad Brown-trained exacta with a one-length victory over stablemate Money Multiplier in the Grade 1, $400,000 Man o' War on Saturday.
Off a step slow at the break, German-bred Wake Forest saved ground at the back of the nine-horse field, trailing an early pace set by Go Around who led the group through an opening quarter-mile in 24.24 seconds. Tracked closely by Money Multiplier, the leader covered the half-mile in 49.24 and six furlongs in 1:13.83.
Friday, May 13 2016
Sophomores look to take flight in G2 Peter Pan
ELMONT, N.Y. - Eight up-and-coming 3-year-olds, each with an eye on the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes, will line up Saturday in the Grade 2, $200,000 Peter Pan, Belmont Park's traditional prep for the final leg of the Triple Crown on June 11.
The 1 1/8-mile Peter Pan is one of four graded stakes at Belmont on Saturday's 11-race card, which also features the first Grade 1 of the year, the $400,000 Man o' War at 1 3/8 miles on the inner turf, along with the Grade 2, $250,000 Ruffian for fillies and mares and the Grade 3, $150,000 Beaugay for turf fillies and mares.
Cavorting, Carrumba face off in G2 Ruffian
ELMONT, N.Y. - An intriguing matchup between two top 4-year-old fillies is set to take place on Saturday at Belmont Park when Stonestreet Stables's Cavorting and Phipps Stable's Carrumba headline the 40th running of the Grade 2, $250,000 Ruffian at one mile.
Kaigun returns to Belmont in G1 Man o’ War
ELMONT, N.Y. - Multiple graded stakes winner Kaigun will look to establish himself as a dominating force in this year's turf male division, facing eight rivals in the first Grade 1 of Belmont Park's spring/summer meet, the $400,000 Man o' War at 1 3/8 miles on the inner turf on Saturday.
Friday, April 29 2016
Weekend Hideaway returns from “little vacation” to win Affirmed Success
ELMONT, N.Y. - A well-rested Weekend Hideaway came back from a three-month freshening and rolled to a 2 ¼-length victory over favored Loki's Vengeance in Friday's $100,000 Affirmed Success for New York-breds as Belmont Park opened for its 54-day spring/summer meet.
With Luis Saez aboard, Weekend Hideaway sat just off brisk early fractions of 22.32 and 45.14 seconds set by Little Popsie, hitting his best stride when asked as the field of eight turned for home. The 6-year-old son of Speightstown grabbed the lead with just over a furlong to go, and went on to hit the wire in 1:10.30..
Wednesday, April 27 2016
Loki’s Vengeance seeks re-affirmation in Affirmed Success
ELMONT, N.Y. - Multiple stakes winner Loki's Vengeance returns to action Friday to defend his title against eight other New York-breds in the $100,000 Affirmed Success, the opening-day feature as Belmont Park begins its 54-day spring/summer meet.
First race post time is 1:30 p.m., with gates opening at 11:30 a.m. Admission is $5 and general parking is free.
Live racing returns to Belmont Park on April 29
Second annual Belmont Stakes Racing Festival set for June 9-11
ELMONT, N.Y. - Featuring the second annual Belmont Stakes Racing Festival, itself anchored by the 148th renewal of the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes on Saturday, June 11, live thoroughbred racing will return to Belmont Park on Friday, April 29 for its 54-day spring/summer meet packed with exciting racing action and a variety of special events designed for fans of all ages.