Wednesday, June 03 2015
Tonalist takes Belmont win streak into loaded G1 Metropolitan Handicap
ELMONT, N.Y. - One year after his upset victory over California Chrome in the 146th Belmont Stakes, Tonalist returns to Belmont Park as the horse to beat in a star-studded renewal of the Grade 1, $1.25 million Metropolitan Handicap.
The 122nd running of the Met Mile is one of six Grade 1 races, nine graded stakes and 10 overall stakes on Saturday's 13-race Belmont Stakes Day program, capped by the $1.5 million 'Test of the Champion,' where American Pharoah seeks to become the 12th Triple Crown winner and first since 1978.
Tuesday, June 02 2015
Belmont Park Notes 6/2
• Keen Ice keen to go for Belmont Stakes, joining American Pharoah en route to Belmont Park
• Stewart in familiar spot with Tale of Verve in Belmont
• Clement looking forward to Grade 1 Met Mile with Tonalist
• Belmont Stakes contender Frammento leaves Saratoga for Long Island
• McLaughlin loaded with stakes runners for 'big weekend'
ELMONT, N.Y. - Keen Ice, who will carry the colors of Jerry Crawford's Donegal Racing in the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes, wrapped up the last of his works Tuesday morning when the bay colt traveled four furlongs in 50:20 over a fast Churchill Downs main track.
Friday, May 29 2015
Belmont Park Notes 5/29
• Pletcher trio work toward G1 Belmont Stakes
• Frosted 'all set' for G1 Belmont Stakes
• Belmont Stakes winner Tonalist breezes for G1 Met Mile
ELMONT, N.Y. - Following the workouts Friday morning from a trio Todd Pletcher-trained horses for the $1.5 million Belmont Stakes, it appears the two-time Belmont Stakes winning trainer will be represented by all three in the final leg of the Triple Crown on June 6.
Wednesday, May 27 2015
Belmont Park Notes: Wednesday, May 27
• Keen Ice makes final preparations for G1 Belmont Stakes
• Ortiz gets familiar with Belmont Stakes mount Mubtaahij
• Fields taking shape for first two days of Belmont Stakes Racing Festival
ELMONT, N.Y. - Donegal Racing's Keen Ice turned in his final major work at his Churchill Downs base this morning for the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes and a showdown with Triple Crown hopeful American Pharoah.
Tuesday, May 26 2015
Belmont Park Notes 5/26
• Triple Crown hopeful American Pharoah breezes at Churchill Downs; War Story out of Belmont
• Untapable, Shook Up breeze Monday for Belmont Stakes Day assignments for Asmussen
ELMONT, N.Y. - Triple Crown hopeful American Pharoah is likely to face nine contenders in the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes on June 6: Carpe Diem, Conquest Curlinate, Frammento, Frosted, Keen Ice, Madefromlucky, Materiality, Mubtaahij and Tale of Verve.
Sunday, May 24 2015
Belmont Park Notes 5/24
• Stewart has high hopes for Belmont contender Tale of Verve
• Mubtaahij breezes for Belmont Stakes bid
• Honor Code star of McGaughey's Belmont Stakes Racing Festival workers
• Brown loaded with G1 winners for Belmont Stakes Racing Festival
ELMONT, N.Y. - Trainer Dallas Stewart could not have been more pleased with the appearance of Belmont Stakes contender Tale of Verve Sunday morning as he watched the Preakness runner-up grazing outside the barn following a 1 ½-mile gallop around Belmont Park's main oval.
Friday, May 22 2015
Belmont Park Notes 5/22
• Pletcher cohorts work toward Belmont Stakes Racing Festival assignments
• Frosted tunes up for Belmont with G1 Met Mile hopeful Tamarkuz
• Last year's Belmont Stakes winner, Tonalist, works for Met Mile
ELMONT, N.Y. - Trainer Todd Pletcher sent out a veritable "Who's Who" of contenders for their penultimate workouts this morning at Belmont Park for the upcoming Belmont Stakes Racing Festival on June 4-6.
Thursday, May 21 2015
Belmont Park Notes 5/21
• Frosted confirmed for G1 Belmont Stakes on June 6
• Wicked Strong, Effinex eye Belmont Stakes Day assignments
• Cruz scores first win as a journeyman
ELMONT, N.Y. - Godolphin Racing's Frosted is now slated to challenge Triple Crown hopeful American Pharoah in the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes on June 6, the colt's trainer, Kiaran McLaughlin, announced Thursday morning.
Wednesday, May 20 2015
National Museum of Racing Pillars of the Turf
Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt and John Hay Whitney elected to
National Museum of Racing’s Hall of Fame as Pillars of the Turf
SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. — Esteemed sportsmen Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt and John Hay Whitney have been elected to the National Museum of Racing’s Hall of Fame as Pillars of the Turf.
Saturday, May 16 2015
Celestine gets up in time for Wait A While win
ELMONT, N.Y. - James A. Bryan Jr.'s Celestine made her first start in a new barn a successful one, kicking clear to a 1 ½-length victory in the $100,000 Wait A While Stakes for 3-year-old fillies on Saturday at Belmont Park.
The sophomore daughter of Scat Daddy began her career last fall in South Florida for trainer Bill Kaplan, breaking her maiden in her fourth start and graduating into stakes company with a 3 1/4-length score in Gulfstream Park's Sanibel Island Stakes on March 29.
Saturday, May 09 2015
Man o’ War (G1) Quotes
Tom Albertrani, winning trainer of Twilight Eclipse (No. 4): "It's been very satisfying for everybody that's involved and for his connections to [finally] get that Grade 1. I know we've been beaten in a couple of spots but he shows up every time. I think [in previous races], the horses were just that good; you know you have horses like Main Sequence. Without a horse like [that] in the race, this horse looks like a champion himself, but to his credit he did train really well coming into this race. I thought we would have had a little bit of a harder time, especially with the slow fractions, but he was able to get there."
Ruffian Handicap (G2) Quotes
Kiaran McLaughlin, winning trainer of Wedding Toast (No. 1a): "The last couple times [jockey Jose Lezcano] was down on the inside and had to ask her early in the race, and they were going fast at seven furlongs. Today, I liked the race shape today and the way he rode her. She's a pretty talented filly.