Thursday, May 22 2014
Fitful Skies ready to run in G2 Sheepshead Bay
ELMONT, N.Y. - Fitful Skies will go in search of her first North American victory on Saturday at Belmont Park when she contests the Grade 2, $200,000 Sheepshead Bay run at 1 3/8 miles for fillies and mares 4-years-old and up.
Saturday, May 10 2014
Peter Pan (G2) Quotes
Christophe Clement, winning trainer of Tonalist (No. 4): "Joel [Rosario] makes all the calls on track. Obviously, he broke a tad slow so he sent him and showed more speed than expected, but he was just galloping along easily. You could see he was striding very well. What impressed me was the last eighth of a mile, when he opened up again. I thought he was fit [coming off the layoff]. I was very worried about the wet track. I don't breeze my horses on the wet track so that was a complete question mark. He answered that pretty nicely. This win is nice, it's great; Mr. [Robert] Evans is very happy. Let's see how the horse comes out of it, but of course we have to think about the Belmont Stakes [Grade 1, $1.5 million, June 7]. We're New York people and we're at Belmont."
Tom Durkin announces retirement
ELMONT, N.Y. - Track announcer Tom Durkin, who has been bringing his special brand of excitement to The New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) circuit since 1990, announced today he will call his last race at Saratoga Race Course on August 31, bringing a 43-year career to a close.
Thursday, May 08 2014
Seven sophomores set to soar in Peter Pan
ELMONT, N.Y. - With an eye towards the 146th running of the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes, seven 3-year-olds will line up in the starting gate on Saturday for the Grade 2, $200,000 Peter Pan, Belmont Park's traditional prep race for the June 7 "Test of the Champion."
Monday, April 28 2014
Belmont Park spring/summer meet begins May 1
Host of improvements and special events; $8 million Belmont Stakes Day set for June 7
ELMONT, N.Y. - Anchored by the 146th running of the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes on June 7, Belmont Park opens on Thursday, May 1, with world-class racing forming the backbone of the 54-day spring/summer meet and a host of improvements and special events to enhance the guest experience.
Friday, October 18 2013
Belmont Park Notes - Friday, October 18
• Brown seeks top effort from Shakeira in Ticonderoga; Street Secret set for G3 Turnback the Alarm; plans undetermined for impressive debut winner Bakken
• Contessa hopes good trip will lead to Hudson victory for Night Maneuver; Carolinian remains on dirt for Bertram M. Bongard
• 'The Llama' gets the nod for Mohawk from Pletcher; Forty Tales eyes next Saturday's G3 Bold Ruler 'Cap, Royal Lahaina, Fantasy of Flight target G3 Turnback the Alarm H.
• So Lonesome, Wholelottashakin face differing challenges on Empire Showcase Day for Bush
Tuesday, October 15 2013
Christophe Clement, winning trainer of Discreet Marq (No. 8): "She's a very nice filly who belongs to great people. I'm delighted for them. I've always thought she was a top-class miler. We've been stretching her all year long but she's good, and she overcame me, which is wonderful. Irad [Ortiz] rode her great. He's a very good, talented young jockey."
Irad Ortiz, Jr., winning jockey aboard Discreet Marq (No. 8): "I raised my hands a little bit because she [fought] a little with the mouth [at first]. She relaxed very good for me today. I got a lot of filly, I got a lot of horse, so I went little by little [after No. 6]. I asked her a little bit, and she gave me what she had."
Monday, October 14 2013
Belmont Park Notes Sunday, October 13
• Velazquez breezes Point of Entry for McGaughey, Palace Malice for Pletcher; Graydar also breezes for Breeders' Cup
• Orb returns to worktab, Cigar Mile a possibility
• 'Snacks' breezes, Sciacca torn between Empire Classic and Hudson
• Jockey Rice keeping it all in the family
• Probables for all seven stakes on Empire Showcase Day presented by The Fund
Athenia (G3) Quotes
Cherie DeVaux, assistant to winning trainer Chad Brown of Pianist (No. 5) and third-place finisher and beaten favorite Samitar (No. 3): "This year, Pianist has been outstanding for us. I think she ran similarly to last time [second in the Grade 2 Ketel One Ballston Spa]. Jose [Ortiz] watched the replay of that race, and watched her sit off Laughing and she hung in there. He did the same thing today, and it worked out."
Knickerbocker (G3) Quotes
Christophe Clement, winning trainer of Za Approval (No. 7): "He got the firm turf. Great horse, nice horse. He's won three graded stakes this year. He's a fun horse. When I ran him in Grade 1s, he got beat by two of the best milers in the country. He's been getting better all of his life. He's been a great credit to the Live Oak team and Mrs. [Charlotte] Weber because they have been very patient with him, and it's wonderful when it works out."
Friday, October 11 2013
Discreet Marq tops talented field for Pebbles
ELMONT, N.Y. - A talented field of 3-year-old turf fillies, headed by Grade 1 winner Discreet Marq, will assemble on Monday for the $200,000 Pebbles, the Columbus Day feature at Belmont Park.
Belmont Park Notes Friday, October 11
• Palace entering Hudson in top form; Hear the Footsteps, Miss Narcissist to also represent Rice barn on Showcase Day
• 2012 Hudson winner Mine Over Matter to be joined by stablemate B Shanny in title defense attempt
• Kimmel hoping fortunes change for Lady's Lunar Luck in Ticonderoga