Sunday, June 08 2014
2014 Belmont Stakes Day Records
2014 Belmont Stakes Day sets NYRA on-track, total handle record; attendance third highest in Belmont Stakes history
ELMONT, N.Y. - With a Triple Crown bid on the line and 10 outstanding stakes races on the card, this year's Belmont Stakes Day proved to be a smashing hit, with the on-track handle of $19,105,877 and all-sources handle of $150,249,399 easily setting all-time NYRA records.
Interview with Joel Rosario and Christophe Clement
THE MODERATOR: We are fortunate to have Joel Rosario in the film theater here. Joel, if you would, take us through the Belmont trip.
JOEL ROSARIO: First of all, hello, everybody. I was on the outside the whole way and, you know, big horse and, you know, helping him go the mile-and-a-half.
Interview with Victor Espinoza and Alan Sherman
Q. Sorry you didn't get the result you were looking for. Tell us how you feel right now.
VICTOR ESPINOZA: Well, I think like everybody else. It's not easy, but it's just crazy. I'm always ready for the work, for the best and the worst and today, today I feel like we don't have enough to be able to win this race.
Saturday, June 07 2014
Robert Evans post-Belmont interview
THE MODERATOR: All right, everyone, we're joined now by the owner of the winner of the 146th Belmont, Tonalist. That owner is Robert Evans thank you for joining us down here. Congratulations. Maybe to start, we should just ask you your impressions of the race and how you saw it unfold.
ROBERT EVANS: We were a little bit nervous about having the outside post, how he would react to the crowd and he was perfect, he didn't it didn't bother him a bit and he broke well, got a good position and he rode him beautifully.
Belmont Stakes (G1) compiled jockey/trainer quotes
Christophe Clement, winning trainer of Tonalist (No. 11): "It's a great win, it's great for the team, for the staff, for the owner, Mr. Evans, who believed in us. I'm absolutely thrilled. It's wonderful."
"He trained great, he looked great before the race. I'm absolutely delighted that he won."
"I wasn't sure he won. We actually thought he finished second, but we got lucky, he won. It was great."
Did you ever think you'd win the Belmont Stakes when you were growing up in France? "I'm not sure, but I was hoping to win some big races."
Friday, June 06 2014
Belmont Park Notes 6/6
• California Chrome schools in paddock, has final gallop before G1 Belmont Stakes
• General a Rod gets first taste of local surface
• Samraat, Ortiz ready for Belmont Stakes
• Finley has high hopes for Commanding Curve
• Romans trying to catch lightning in a bottle with Medal Count
• Kid Cruz skips Belmont, finds 'easier' spot on undercard for Rice
• Zito reflects on Triple Crowns past, Chrome's chances
• New York trainers, former jockeys backing 'Chrome' in the Belmont Stakes
Thursday, June 05 2014
Belmont Stakes Card - $1.5 Million Pick 4, $1 million Pick 6
Belmont Stakes Card includes $1.5 Million guaranteed Pick 4, $1 million guaranteed Pick 6
ELMONT, N.Y. - The New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) will present a $1.5 Million Guaranteed All Grade 1 Pick 4 and a $1 Million Guaranteed All Grade 1 Pick 6 on Saturday, Belmont Stakes Day.
Belmont Park Notes 6/5
* California Chrome schools at starting gate, gallops 1 ¼ miles
* Tonalist draws far outside, continues preparations for Belmont Stakes
* Wicked Strong gallops on the Belmont training track
* Ride On Curlin braves storm, tunes up for "Test of the Champion"
* Samraat arrives at Belmont, tests local surface
* Pletcher reflects on brief stint training Lucky Pulpit, sire of California Chrome
Wednesday, June 04 2014
BELMONT STAKES DRAW NEWS CONFERENCE TRANSCRIPT
ANDY SERLING: I'd like to officially welcome everybody to the drawing of the 146th Belmont Stakes. We're here on the garden terrace. Before we get things underway I'd like to bring on the president and CEO of the New York Racing Association, Chris Kay.
CHRIS KAY: Thank you, Andy, and thank all of you for coming today and welcome to beautiful Belmont Park. I want to thank all of you that came yesterday to our fantastic press event at Rockefeller Center. In particular I want to thank the owners and the trainers and the jockeys that came. I appreciate your insights, and most of all I appreciated your sense of humor. Clearly this is going to be a great weekend.
Tuesday, June 03 2014
Belmont Park Notes 6/3
• Sherman gets first opportunity to watch California Chrome at Belmont
• Wicked Strong continues prep for Belmont Stakes
• Kid Cruz withdrawn from consideration for Belmont Stakes, possible for Easy Goer
• Palace Malice looks to join rare company with Belmont Stakes, Met Mile double
o Antipathy may be late addition to G1, $1 million Ogden Phipps field
o Billy Turner, trainer of Triple Crown winner Seattle Slew, stresses importance of pace in Belmont Stakes
Monday, June 02 2014
Belmont Park Notes 6/2
• Triple Crown hopeful California Chrome back on the track Monday morning
• Matterhorn officially on board for June 7 Belmont Stakes; Commissioner and others doing well after weekend works
• Tonalist still in good shape following Saturday morning breeze
• Wicked Strong doing well exiting Sunday breeze; Jerkens ready for Belmont Stakes
• Commanding Curve and other Stewart horses in fine fettle after weekend tune-ups
• Ride On Curlin ready for third leg of Triple Crown, according to Gowan
• Mott runners Matuszak, Close Hatches ready to go in Saturday stakes
• Sanchez, Azpurua closer to making decision on Social Inclusion
Sunday, June 01 2014
Belmont Park Notes; Sunday, June 1
• Triple Crown hopeful California Chrome emerges from final Belmont Stakes breeze in fine fettle
• Belmont contender Ride On Curlin has first work since runner-up finish in Preakness
• Wicked Strong turns in quick work over training track
• Commanding Curve pleases Stewart with main track breeze
• Commissioner, Matterhorn breeze in company for Belmont Stakes; Palace Malice, Princess of Sylmar among other workers for Pletcher
• Hall of Famer Bill Mott sends Matuszak out for five-furlong Belmont tune-up
• Tonalist emerges from Saturday breeze in good shape