Thursday, June 05 2014
Belmont Park Notes 6/5
* California Chrome schools at starting gate, gallops 1 ¼ miles
* Tonalist draws far outside, continues preparations for Belmont Stakes
* Wicked Strong gallops on the Belmont training track
* Ride On Curlin braves storm, tunes up for "Test of the Champion"
* Samraat arrives at Belmont, tests local surface
* Pletcher reflects on brief stint training Lucky Pulpit, sire of California Chrome
Wednesday, June 04 2014
BELMONT STAKES DRAW NEWS CONFERENCE TRANSCRIPT
ANDY SERLING: I'd like to officially welcome everybody to the drawing of the 146th Belmont Stakes. We're here on the garden terrace. Before we get things underway I'd like to bring on the president and CEO of the New York Racing Association, Chris Kay.
CHRIS KAY: Thank you, Andy, and thank all of you for coming today and welcome to beautiful Belmont Park. I want to thank all of you that came yesterday to our fantastic press event at Rockefeller Center. In particular I want to thank the owners and the trainers and the jockeys that came. I appreciate your insights, and most of all I appreciated your sense of humor. Clearly this is going to be a great weekend.
Tuesday, June 03 2014
Belmont Park Notes 6/3
• Sherman gets first opportunity to watch California Chrome at Belmont
• Wicked Strong continues prep for Belmont Stakes
• Kid Cruz withdrawn from consideration for Belmont Stakes, possible for Easy Goer
• Palace Malice looks to join rare company with Belmont Stakes, Met Mile double
o Antipathy may be late addition to G1, $1 million Ogden Phipps field
o Billy Turner, trainer of Triple Crown winner Seattle Slew, stresses importance of pace in Belmont Stakes
Monday, June 02 2014
Belmont Park Notes 6/2
• Triple Crown hopeful California Chrome back on the track Monday morning
• Matterhorn officially on board for June 7 Belmont Stakes; Commissioner and others doing well after weekend works
• Tonalist still in good shape following Saturday morning breeze
• Wicked Strong doing well exiting Sunday breeze; Jerkens ready for Belmont Stakes
• Commanding Curve and other Stewart horses in fine fettle after weekend tune-ups
• Ride On Curlin ready for third leg of Triple Crown, according to Gowan
• Mott runners Matuszak, Close Hatches ready to go in Saturday stakes
• Sanchez, Azpurua closer to making decision on Social Inclusion
Sunday, June 01 2014
Belmont Park Notes; Sunday, June 1
• Triple Crown hopeful California Chrome emerges from final Belmont Stakes breeze in fine fettle
• Belmont contender Ride On Curlin has first work since runner-up finish in Preakness
• Wicked Strong turns in quick work over training track
• Commanding Curve pleases Stewart with main track breeze
• Commissioner, Matterhorn breeze in company for Belmont Stakes; Palace Malice, Princess of Sylmar among other workers for Pletcher
• Hall of Famer Bill Mott sends Matuszak out for five-furlong Belmont tune-up
• Tonalist emerges from Saturday breeze in good shape
Saturday, May 31 2014
California Chrome has final breeze for Triple Crown try
ELMONT, N.Y. - With a strong wind at his back as he came through the Belmont Park stretch, Triple Crown hopeful California Chrome breezed a half-mile in 47.69 seconds this morning in his final serious move before the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes on June 7.
Friday, May 30 2014
California Chrome schools in gate, ready to breeze tomorrow morning
ELMONT, N.Y. - Triple Crown hopeful California Chrome took a brief detour to school in the starting gate around 6:40 Friday morning before galloping around the Belmont Park oval.
With New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) starter Roy Williamson supervising, the Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner was loaded into a stall in the starting gate on the backstretch, where he stood quietly for several moments with his hind end pressing against the back of the gate.
Thursday, May 29 2014
California Chrome schools in paddock before turning in routine gallop
ELMONT, N.Y. - California Chrome, who is aiming for a sweep of the Triple Crown, schooled in the paddock for the first time on Thursday before proceeding to gallop two miles over the Belmont Park main track.
The 3-year-old, who is slated to compete in the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes on June 7 at Belmont Park, walked around the paddock shortly after 6 a.m. before standing in a stall for approximately five minutes. He then proceeded through the tunnel and onto the main track where he jogged clockwise to the half-mile pole before commencing his usual counter-clockwise two-mile gallop.
Wednesday, May 28 2014
California Chrome still raring to go on Wednesday
ELMONT, N.Y. - Triple Crown hopeful California Chrome on Wednesday picked back up where he left off the previous day, showing the same eagerness he displayed a day earlier when galloping his customary two-mile circuit on an overcast morning at Belmont Park.
Saturday, May 24 2014
“Califorina Chrome” spells success
ELMONT, N.Y. - Fostering a superstition born on the first stop of the Triple Crown, Belmont Park presented the connections of California Chrome with two saddlecloths upon his arrival - one bearing the proper spelling of the colt's name and one deliberately misspelled "Califorina Chrome".
Thursday, May 22 2014
Triple Crown hopeful California Chrome has first gallop at Belmont Park
ELMONT, N.Y. - Triple Crown hopeful California Chrome had his first gallop around Belmont Park's 1 ½-mile oval this morning, going out on a sloppy track shortly after 6 a.m. with exercise rider Willie Delgado aboard.
California Chrome, who will attempt to become the first horse in 36 years to add the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes on June 7 to victories in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness, galloped an easy 1 ¾ miles over the wet main track.
Wednesday, May 21 2014
California Chrome jogs on Belmont Park main track
ELMONT, N.Y. - Triple Crown hopeful California Chrome set foot on the Belmont Park main track for the first time on Wednesday, leisurely jogging once around the 1 ½-mile course with exercise rider Willie Delgado aboard.