Thursday, June 05 2014
Belmont Park Notes 6/5
* California Chrome schools at starting gate, gallops 1 ¼ miles
* Tonalist draws far outside, continues preparations for Belmont Stakes
* Wicked Strong gallops on the Belmont training track
* Ride On Curlin braves storm, tunes up for "Test of the Champion"
* Samraat arrives at Belmont, tests local surface
* Pletcher reflects on brief stint training Lucky Pulpit, sire of California Chrome
Monster of the Mid-Atlantic, Ben’s Cat, Storms New York for the Jaipur
ELMONT, N.Y. - He has made his name and fortune terrorizing turf sprinters in the Mid-Atlantic, and now win machine Ben's Cat will make his first appearance at Belmont Park on Saturday as the 5-2 morning-line favorite in the Grade 3, $300,000 Jaipur Invitational Stakes.
Wednesday, June 04 2014
Palace Malice takes on Churchill Downs Stakes top four in G1 Met Mile
ELMONT, N.Y. - Palace Malice will take on a deep field, including the top four finishers from the Grade 2 Churchill Downs Stakes, in the Grade 1, $1.25 million Metropolitan Handicap on Saturday at Belmont Park.
The Met Mile, previously contested on Memorial Day, was carded as the ninth race on the 13-race card and is a Breeders' Cup Challenge "Win and You're In Race" in the Dirt Mile division.
Racing’s top fillies collide in G1 Ogden Phipps
ELMONT, N.Y. - The trainers of the top three older female racehorses in the country all know that the Grade 1, $1 million Ogden Phipps Handicap is a race that marks champions, and so Beholder, Close Hatches and Princess of Sylmar will meet in what shapes up to be a spellbinding showdown Saturday at Belmont Park.
BELMONT STAKES DRAW NEWS CONFERENCE TRANSCRIPT
ANDY SERLING: I'd like to officially welcome everybody to the drawing of the 146th Belmont Stakes. We're here on the garden terrace. Before we get things underway I'd like to bring on the president and CEO of the New York Racing Association, Chris Kay.
CHRIS KAY: Thank you, Andy, and thank all of you for coming today and welcome to beautiful Belmont Park. I want to thank all of you that came yesterday to our fantastic press event at Rockefeller Center. In particular I want to thank the owners and the trainers and the jockeys that came. I appreciate your insights, and most of all I appreciated your sense of humor. Clearly this is going to be a great weekend.
Tuesday, June 03 2014
Belmont Park Notes 6/3
• Sherman gets first opportunity to watch California Chrome at Belmont
• Wicked Strong continues prep for Belmont Stakes
• Kid Cruz withdrawn from consideration for Belmont Stakes, possible for Easy Goer
• Palace Malice looks to join rare company with Belmont Stakes, Met Mile double
o Antipathy may be late addition to G1, $1 million Ogden Phipps field
o Billy Turner, trainer of Triple Crown winner Seattle Slew, stresses importance of pace in Belmont Stakes
Monday, June 02 2014
Belmont Park Notes 6/2
• Triple Crown hopeful California Chrome back on the track Monday morning
• Matterhorn officially on board for June 7 Belmont Stakes; Commissioner and others doing well after weekend works
• Tonalist still in good shape following Saturday morning breeze
• Wicked Strong doing well exiting Sunday breeze; Jerkens ready for Belmont Stakes
• Commanding Curve and other Stewart horses in fine fettle after weekend tune-ups
• Ride On Curlin ready for third leg of Triple Crown, according to Gowan
• Mott runners Matuszak, Close Hatches ready to go in Saturday stakes
• Sanchez, Azpurua closer to making decision on Social Inclusion
Sunday, June 01 2014
Belmont Park Notes; Sunday, June 1
• Triple Crown hopeful California Chrome emerges from final Belmont Stakes breeze in fine fettle
• Belmont contender Ride On Curlin has first work since runner-up finish in Preakness
• Wicked Strong turns in quick work over training track
• Commanding Curve pleases Stewart with main track breeze
• Commissioner, Matterhorn breeze in company for Belmont Stakes; Palace Malice, Princess of Sylmar among other workers for Pletcher
• Hall of Famer Bill Mott sends Matuszak out for five-furlong Belmont tune-up
• Tonalist emerges from Saturday breeze in good shape
Saturday, May 31 2014
Belmont Park Notes: Saturday, May 31
• Tonalist puts in final work before Belmont Stakes
• Belmont Stakes hopeful Samraat tunes up at Aqueduct Racetrack
• Social Inclusion turns in fast three-furlong breeze on Saturday; final decision on Belmont Stakes or Woody Stephens to be announced tomorrow
• General a Rod joins Belmont Stakes field following Saturday workout at Churchill Downs
• Medal Count breezes at Churchill Downs, arrives for Belmont Thursday
California Chrome has final breeze for Triple Crown try
ELMONT, N.Y. - With a strong wind at his back as he came through the Belmont Park stretch, Triple Crown hopeful California Chrome breezed a half-mile in 47.69 seconds this morning in his final serious move before the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes on June 7.
Friday, May 30 2014
Belmont Park Notes, Friday, May 30
• Belmont Stakes hopeful Commanding Curve arrives at Belmont
• Beholder ships in, ready for G1 Ogden Phipps
• Goldencents arrives in Belmont, targeting G1 Met Mile
• Kid Cruz breezes six furlongs in 1:14.53, still possible for Belmont Stakes
• Grade 1's on Belmont Stakes undercard taking shape
Rainbow 6 Survives; Saturday’s Carryover Jackpot Has $50,000 Guarantee
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL – There were two live unique 20-cent Rainbow 6 tickets heading into the last race Friday at Gulfstream Park. Had either No. 7 Dardanian or No. 10 Lord Lemon prevailed in the eighth race a lucky ticket holder would have cashed for a jackpot carrying a $50,000 guarantee on the first racing day since last Monday’s mandatory payout. Neither horse finished in the money.