Thursday, September 22 2016
Churchill Downs Stakes Advance
EMMZY ATTEMPTS TO LAND FIRST STAKES WIN IN SATURDAY NIGHT’S DOGWOOD
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2016)
– Zayat Stables LLC’s Indiana Oaks (Grade II) runner-up Emmzy landed the outside post in a field of eight 3-year-old fillies as she attempts to land her first stakes victory in Saturday night’s 41st running of the $100,000 Dogwood Stakes Presented by GE Appliances (listed) – the featured seven-furlong event at Churchill Downs during a special Downs After Dark nighttime racing program.
Saturday, September 17 2016
Not This Time Dominates Iroquois
NOT THIS TIME DOMINATES IROQUOIS AT CHURCHILL DOWNS;
TAKES ‘ROAD TO THE DERBY’ LEAD, EARNS TRIP TO BREEDERS’ CUP JUVENILE
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Saturday, Sept. 17, 2016)
– Albaugh Family Stable’s homebred Not This Time, a half-brother to last year’s Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile winner Liam’s Map, is the early points leader on the 2017 “Road to the Kentucky Derby” following a jaw-dropping 8 ¾-length demolition job under jockey Robby Albarado in the 35th running of the $150,000 Iroquois Presented by TwinSpires.com (Grade III) for 2-year-olds at 1 1/16 miles on Saturday at Churchill Downs.
Wednesday, July 27 2016
Churchill Downs Announces September, Fall Meet Stakes Schedules
CHURCHILL DOWNS RACETRACK SETS SEPTEMBER, FALL MEET STAKES SCHEDULES FEATURING 22 EVENTS, TOTAL PURSES OF MORE THAN $3.2 MILLION
142nd Running Grade I Clark Handicap, Pair of ‘Stars of Tomorrow’ Programs Top Fall Meet; Kentucky Derby & Kentucky Oaks Points and Breeders’ Cup ‘Win and You’re In’ Races, Lukas Classic Head September Roster
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Wednesday, July 27, 2016)
– Stakes schedules that feature combined purses of more than $3.2 million and a wide-ranging array of events for horses in most every category of competition have been announced by Churchill Downs Racetrack for its upcoming September Meet, which features an 11-day racing schedule from Friday, Sept. 16 through Sunday, Oct. 2, and its traditional Fall Meet, which kicks off a 21-day run on Sunday, Oct. 30 and will lower its curtain with its anticipated Thanksgiving/Closing Weekend celebration that will conclude on Sunday, Nov. 27.
Saturday, June 18 2016
Churchill Downs Stakes Recap & Quotes: Grade II, $200,000 Wise Dan
PLEUVEN VICTORIOUS IN GRADE II, $200,000 WISE DAN AT CHURCHILL DOWNS
(Saturday, June 18, 2016) – Nelson McMakin’s Pleuven (FR) tracked pacesetter Kasaqui (ARG), drew even with that rival with an eighth of mile to run and inched clear late to post a three-quarter length victory in Saturday night’s 27th running of the $200,000 Wise Dan (Grade II) at Churchill Downs. Thatcher Street was third and favored The Pizza Man was fourth.
Sunday, May 08 2016
Kentucky Oaks Follow Up: Sat 5/7
‘THE QUEEN’ CATHRYN SOPHIA DOING WELL DAY AFTER OAKS TRIUMPH
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Saturday, May 7, 2016)
– Cathryn Sophia, the newest member of the Kentucky Oaks winner’s club, poked her head outside her stall at 6 a.m. Saturday and turned her gaze to the shedrow doings of Barn 43 at Churchill Downs. Harry Harcourt, her groom, looked at her with pride and said, “There is the queen.”
Twenty-four hours earlier, Harcourt, a 52-year-old native of Barbados, fretted that Cathryn Sophia, who has a propensity for getting on the muscle, particularly in her stall, would become worked-up on the walkover to the Oaks and in the paddock.
Friday, May 06 2016
Cathryn Sophia wins Kentucky Oaks in Front of Record Crowd
Kentucky Oaks Sets Back to Back Attendance and Wagering Records
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (May 6, 2016)
– A record-breaking 124,589 fans watched Cathryn Sophia capture the 142nd running of the $1 million Longines Kentucky Oaks (Grade I) at Churchill Downs Racetrack. Perfect weather contributed to an outstanding day of racing and a crowd that broke the previous attendance record of 123,763 set just last year.
Tuesday, May 03 2016
Stakes Advance: Tue 5/3/2016 12:32 PM
RACHEL’S VALENTINA 7-2 MORNING-LINE FAVORITE $1 MILLION LONGINES KENTUCKY OAKS (GI)
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Tuesday, May 2, 2016)
– The 1-2 finishers from last month’s Ashland Stakes (GI) at Keeneland, Ashbrook Farm’s Weep No More and Stonestreet Stables’ Rachel’s Valentina, sporting family ties to the Kentucky Oaks (GI), headline a field of 14 3-year-old fillies entered today for Friday’s 142nd running of the $1 million Longines Kentucky Oaks to be run at 1 1/8 miles on the main track.
Wednesday, April 27 2016
Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks Update: Wednesday, April 27, 2016
UAE DERBY WINNER LANI PUTS IN 3-FURLONG BREEZE;
VENUS VALENTINE WORKS HALF-MILE FOR OAKS
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Wednesday, April 27, 2016)
– Koji Maeda’s Lani, winner of the UAE Derby (Group II) in his most recent start, worked three furlongs in :37.40 with blinkers on over a track labeled fast during the 8:30-8:45 a.m. training period reserved for Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks contenders.
Monday, January 04 2016
TwinSpires names American Pharoah’s Classic win Performance of the Year
Triple Crown champion’s Breeders’ Cup coronation is top performance of 2015
; (Jan. 4, 2016) – American Pharoah’s win in the Breeders’ Cup Classic was the top performance of the year based on measurements provided by Brisnet.com, the official data source of TwinSpires.com and the Kentucky Derby.
Friday, November 27 2015
CLARK HANDICAP QUOTES
JIMMY JERKENS, trainer of EFFINEX (winner): “He ran so well last time and it looked like he never missed a beat with his training and everything else afterwards so that’s why we decided to come. We broke a step slow and then they kind of converged on him and they went like a bat out of hell so he just sat there and went in behind them.
“He’s just a good quality horse. He’s really come around since that weird effort at Saratoga where he went crazy from behind the gate. I still don’t know what that was about, but he’s been all business since then. He ran a hard race in the Breeders’ Cup, but he shipped all the way back on the van and acted like a fresh horse so we decided to come back. We didn’t really make a final decision until the week before. We were sure we could get Mike [Smith] to do it and we were sure that he wanted to come. We didn’t know what he had elsewhere but he definitely wanted to come so that helped us a little bit.
“Maybe we’ll send him to Florida, I don’t know yet. He’s such a tough horse, as long as there’s someone around taking good care of him that’s all he cares about.”
Churchill Downs Stakes Recaps
AHH CHOCOLATE GETS FIRST GRADED STAKES WIN IN GRADE II FALLS CITY 'CAP
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Thursday, Nov. 26, 2015)
- Stoneway Farm's homebred 3-year-old filly Ahh Chocolate rated patiently in second before taking command in the stretch and drew away to win the 100th running of the $200,000 Falls City Handicap Presented by TwinSpires.com (Grade II) on Thanksgiving Day at Churchill Downs by 1 ½ lengths over Theogony.
Ahh Chocolate, trained by Neil Howard and ridden by Brian Hernandez Jr., ran 1 1/8 miles over a fast track in 1:49.68 - the fastest Falls City renewal since Allamerican Bertie clocked 1:49.60 in 2002. It was the first graded stakes win of Ahh Chocolate's career.
Wednesday, November 25 2015
Churchill Downs Stakes Advances: Wed 11/25
JUVENILE TURF STAR AIROFORCE MADE 3-1 FAVORITE FOR DIRT DEBUT IN
SATURDAY’S GRADE II, $200,000 KENTUCKY JOCKEY CLUB AT CHURCHILL DOWNS
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Wednesday, Nov. 25, 2015)
– John C. Oxley’s Airoforce, the winner of Keeneland’s $250,000 Bourbon Stakes (Grade III) who was beaten a neck by fast-closing Hit It a Bomb in last month’s $1 million Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf (GI), was made the 3-1 morning line favorite for his dirt debut in a full field of 14 juveniles entered for Saturday’s 89th running of the $200,000 Kentucky Jockey Club Presented by TwinSpires.com (GII) at Churchill Downs.