Wednesday, April 27 2016
Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks Update: Wednesday, April 27, 2016
UAE DERBY WINNER LANI PUTS IN 3-FURLONG BREEZE;
VENUS VALENTINE WORKS HALF-MILE FOR OAKS
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Wednesday, April 27, 2016)
– Koji Maeda’s Lani, winner of the UAE Derby (Group II) in his most recent start, worked three furlongs in :37.40 with blinkers on over a track labeled fast during the 8:30-8:45 a.m. training period reserved for Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks contenders.
Monday, January 04 2016
TwinSpires names American Pharoah’s Classic win Performance of the Year
Triple Crown champion’s Breeders’ Cup coronation is top performance of 2015
; (Jan. 4, 2016) – American Pharoah’s win in the Breeders’ Cup Classic was the top performance of the year based on measurements provided by Brisnet.com, the official data source of TwinSpires.com and the Kentucky Derby.
Friday, November 27 2015
CLARK HANDICAP QUOTES
JIMMY JERKENS, trainer of EFFINEX (winner): “He ran so well last time and it looked like he never missed a beat with his training and everything else afterwards so that’s why we decided to come. We broke a step slow and then they kind of converged on him and they went like a bat out of hell so he just sat there and went in behind them.
“He’s just a good quality horse. He’s really come around since that weird effort at Saratoga where he went crazy from behind the gate. I still don’t know what that was about, but he’s been all business since then. He ran a hard race in the Breeders’ Cup, but he shipped all the way back on the van and acted like a fresh horse so we decided to come back. We didn’t really make a final decision until the week before. We were sure we could get Mike [Smith] to do it and we were sure that he wanted to come. We didn’t know what he had elsewhere but he definitely wanted to come so that helped us a little bit.
“Maybe we’ll send him to Florida, I don’t know yet. He’s such a tough horse, as long as there’s someone around taking good care of him that’s all he cares about.”
Churchill Downs Stakes Recaps
AHH CHOCOLATE GETS FIRST GRADED STAKES WIN IN GRADE II FALLS CITY 'CAP
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Thursday, Nov. 26, 2015)
- Stoneway Farm's homebred 3-year-old filly Ahh Chocolate rated patiently in second before taking command in the stretch and drew away to win the 100th running of the $200,000 Falls City Handicap Presented by TwinSpires.com (Grade II) on Thanksgiving Day at Churchill Downs by 1 ½ lengths over Theogony.
Ahh Chocolate, trained by Neil Howard and ridden by Brian Hernandez Jr., ran 1 1/8 miles over a fast track in 1:49.68 - the fastest Falls City renewal since Allamerican Bertie clocked 1:49.60 in 2002. It was the first graded stakes win of Ahh Chocolate's career.
Wednesday, November 25 2015
Churchill Downs Stakes Advances: Wed 11/25
JUVENILE TURF STAR AIROFORCE MADE 3-1 FAVORITE FOR DIRT DEBUT IN
SATURDAY’S GRADE II, $200,000 KENTUCKY JOCKEY CLUB AT CHURCHILL DOWNS
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Wednesday, Nov. 25, 2015)
– John C. Oxley’s Airoforce, the winner of Keeneland’s $250,000 Bourbon Stakes (Grade III) who was beaten a neck by fast-closing Hit It a Bomb in last month’s $1 million Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf (GI), was made the 3-1 morning line favorite for his dirt debut in a full field of 14 juveniles entered for Saturday’s 89th running of the $200,000 Kentucky Jockey Club Presented by TwinSpires.com (GII) at Churchill Downs.
Churchill Downs Stakes Advances
TRAVERS WINNER KEEN ICE FACES BC CLASSIC RUNNER-UP EFFINEX,
REIGNING CHAMP HOPPERTUNITY IN STRONG FIELD FOR GRADE I CLARK HANDICAP
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2015)
– Donegal Racing’s Travers Stakes (GI) winner Keen Ice, the only horse to defeat Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (Grade I) winner American Pharoah during the latter’s historic Triple Crown season, will attempt to complete his 3-year-old campaign on a high note when he takes on eight rivals in the 142nd running of the $500,000 Clark Handicap Presented by Norton Healthcare (GI), the main event on the traditional high-quality “Black Friday” racing program on the day after Thanksgiving at Churchill Downs Racetrack.
Saturday, November 21 2015
Churchill Downs Stakes Recap: $100,000 CARDINAL HANDICAP
BUTTON DOWN GETS FIRST GRADED STAKES WIN IN $100,000 CARDINAL HANDICAP
(Saturday, Nov. 14, 2015) - Canadian invader Button Down (GB) found the chilly and rainy conditions on Saturday afternoon at Churchill Downs to her liking as the 4-year-old filly swept past the leaders at the top of the stretch and held sway in the final stages to beat Lady Fog Horn by a half-length in the 42nd running of the $100,000 Cardinal Handicap (Grade III) for fillies and mares.
Friday, November 20 2015
Churchill Downs Stakes Advance: GRADE III CARDINAL HANDICAP
CANADA’S BUTTON DOWN FAVORED OVER CHURCHILL DOWNS STAKES WINNERS KISS MOON, EMOTIONAL KITTEN IN 42ND RUNNING OF GRADE III CARDINAL HANDICAP
(Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2015) – Carl F. Pollard’s Kiss Moon and Ken and Sarah Ramsey’s Emotional Kitten, winners of graded stakes races on the Matt Winn Turf Course, face a fleet of invaders led by Canada’s Button Down (GB), Greenwood Lodge Farm’s runner-up in Woodbine’s Canadian Stakes (Grade II), in Saturday’s 42nd running of the $100,000 Cardinal Handicap (Grade III) for fillies and mares ages 3 and up at Churchill Downs.
Wednesday, November 18 2015
Churchill Downs Barn Notes: Wed 11/18
KISS MOON HEADLINES SATURDAY’S GRADE III, $100,000 CARDINAL HANDICAP
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2015) – Carl F. Pollard’s Kiss Moon will attempt to land her second graded stakes win of the year when she starts as the 120-pound high weight and faces a dozen fillies and mares in Saturday’s 42nd running of the $100,000 Cardinal Handicap (Grade III) over 1 1/8 miles on Churchill Downs’ Matt Winn Turf Course.
Sunday, November 15 2015
Churchill Downs Barn Notes - Sat 11/14
DORTMUND, HOPPERTUNITY, KEEN ICE HEADLINE 23 NOMINATIONS TO
GRADE I, $500,000 CLARK HANDICAP PRESENTED BY NORTON HEALTHCARE
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Saturday, Nov. 14, 2015)
– Grade I-winning millionaires Dortmund, Hoppertunity and Keen Ice, along with Breeders’ Cup Classic (GI) runner-up Effinex, top a star-studded roster of 23 horses that were nominated to the $500,000 Clark Handicap Presented by Norton Healthcare (GI).
Wednesday, November 11 2015
Churchill Downs Stakes Advance
BROWN’S PARTISAN POLITICS AND TAMMY THE TORPEDO,
MOTT’S STREAKING CELESTINE TOP PARADE OF INVADERS WITH SITES ON GRADE II MRS. REVERE
(Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2015) – Klaravich Stable and William Lawrence’s Partisan Politics and Long Lake Stable LLC and Beacon Hill Farm’s Tammy the Torpedo – a powerful 1-2 punch from the stable of trainer Chad Brown – and two-time stakes winner Celestine, who has fashioned a four-race win streak for Hall of Fame trainer Bill Mott, head an overflow field of 3-year-old fillies entered to compete in Saturday’s 25th running of the $200,000 Mrs. Revere Stakes (Grade II) on the Matt Winn Turf Course at Churchill Downs.
Saturday, November 07 2015
Churchill Downs Stakes Recap
SPELLING AGAIN WINS GRADE II, $200,000 CHILUKKI BY 4 ½ LENGTHS
(Saturday, Nov. 7, 2015) - Spelling Again stalked pacesetter Keen Pauline, took the lead leaving the far turn and spurted home to beat Ahh Chocolate by a widening 4 ½ lengths in Saturday's 30th running of the $200,000 Chilukki (Grade II) at Churchill Downs.
Shaun Bridgmohan rode the Brad Cox-trained Spelling Again in 1:35.75 to beat six other fillies and mares in the one-mile stakes event that was run over a fast track. It was the 4-year-old filly's second stakes win at Churchill Downs this year. In September, Spelling Again won the $100,000 Open Mind which was contested over six furlongs.