Sunday, May 08 2016
Kentucky Oaks Follow Up: Sat 5/7
‘THE QUEEN’ CATHRYN SOPHIA DOING WELL DAY AFTER OAKS TRIUMPH
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Saturday, May 7, 2016)
– Cathryn Sophia, the newest member of the Kentucky Oaks winner’s club, poked her head outside her stall at 6 a.m. Saturday and turned her gaze to the shedrow doings of Barn 43 at Churchill Downs. Harry Harcourt, her groom, looked at her with pride and said, “There is the queen.”
Twenty-four hours earlier, Harcourt, a 52-year-old native of Barbados, fretted that Cathryn Sophia, who has a propensity for getting on the muscle, particularly in her stall, would become worked-up on the walkover to the Oaks and in the paddock.
Friday, May 06 2016
Cathryn Sophia wins Kentucky Oaks in Front of Record Crowd
Kentucky Oaks Sets Back to Back Attendance and Wagering Records
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (May 6, 2016)
– A record-breaking 124,589 fans watched Cathryn Sophia capture the 142nd running of the $1 million Longines Kentucky Oaks (Grade I) at Churchill Downs Racetrack. Perfect weather contributed to an outstanding day of racing and a crowd that broke the previous attendance record of 123,763 set just last year.
Tuesday, May 03 2016
Stakes Advance: Tue 5/3/2016 12:32 PM
RACHEL’S VALENTINA 7-2 MORNING-LINE FAVORITE $1 MILLION LONGINES KENTUCKY OAKS (GI)
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Tuesday, May 2, 2016)
– The 1-2 finishers from last month’s Ashland Stakes (GI) at Keeneland, Ashbrook Farm’s Weep No More and Stonestreet Stables’ Rachel’s Valentina, sporting family ties to the Kentucky Oaks (GI), headline a field of 14 3-year-old fillies entered today for Friday’s 142nd running of the $1 million Longines Kentucky Oaks to be run at 1 1/8 miles on the main track.
Friday, April 29 2016
Gulfstream’s 20-Cent Rainbow 6 Hit for $218,000
Saturday's First Race Super Hi 5 Carryover $2,571.14
$100,000 Miami Mile (G3) and Powder Break Saturday's Features
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL
- Gulfstream Park's 20-cent Rainbow 6 was hit Friday afternoon when Ansiedad, a 35-1 longshot trained by Manny Azpurua and ridden by Jose Alvarez, won the eighth and final race of the afternoon.
Ansiedad, one of three live tickets in the last race, went gate-to-wire resulting in a Rainbow 6 payoff of $218,456.30. The winning ticket, played at Prairie Meadow, was $600. The ticket was: 1,2/1,3-5,7/1-4/1-5/1,3,5/1-3,7,8.
Weekend Hideaway returns from “little vacation” to win Affirmed Success
ELMONT, N.Y. - A well-rested Weekend Hideaway came back from a three-month freshening and rolled to a 2 ¼-length victory over favored Loki's Vengeance in Friday's $100,000 Affirmed Success for New York-breds as Belmont Park opened for its 54-day spring/summer meet.
With Luis Saez aboard, Weekend Hideaway sat just off brisk early fractions of 22.32 and 45.14 seconds set by Little Popsie, hitting his best stride when asked as the field of eight turned for home. The 6-year-old son of Speightstown grabbed the lead with just over a furlong to go, and went on to hit the wire in 1:10.30..
Kentucky Derby Update: Friday, April 29, 2016
KENTUCKY DERBY NOTES
BRODY’S CAUSE/CHERRY WINE – Albaugh Family Stable’s Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (GI) winner Brody’s Cause galloped 1 ½ miles following the renovation break under exercise rider Miguel Garcia for trainer Dale Romans.
Also galloping the same distance after the break was William Pacella, Frank Jones Jr. and Frank Shoop’s Cherry Wine. Faustino Aguilar was aboard the son of Paddy O’Prado who stands 25th on the Kentucky Derby leaderboard.
Romans said his Kentucky Derby hopefuls are possible to breeze Saturday morning.
KENTUCKY OAKS NOTES - Update: Friday, April 29, 2016
CARINA MIA – Three Chimneys Farm’s Carina Mia, 17th on the Kentucky Oaks leaderboard, galloped after the break under exercise rider Penny Gardiner.
DOTHRAKI QUEEN – Magdalena Racing’s Dothraki Queen, 16th on the Oaks leaderboard, worked five furlongs in 1:00.60 after the break under jockey Gary Stevens.
“She probably went in 1:01. She flew the last eighth,” Stevens said. “I had a test drive with her last week at Keeneland (in a work) and today she wanted to get down to business.”
Trained by Kenny McPeek, Dothraki Queen won the Pocahontas (GII) here in September. Should she not makes the Oaks field, the $150,000 Edgewood (GIII) presented by Forcht Bank run at 1 1/16 miles on the turf May 6 is considered her next option.
Wednesday, April 27 2016
Aktabantay Seeks Fast Track to Graded Success in G3 Miami Mile
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL – Aktabantay made the journey from England to Santa Anita in 2014 to run in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf (G1), only to be scratched due to an injury sustained in a stall mishap.
The British-bred colt didn’t get to compete in the $1 million race for 2-year-olds, but his connections came away from the experience with an observation that eventually led them to send him back to the U.S. for a 2016 campaign.
Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks Update: Wednesday, April 27, 2016
UAE DERBY WINNER LANI PUTS IN 3-FURLONG BREEZE;
VENUS VALENTINE WORKS HALF-MILE FOR OAKS
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Wednesday, April 27, 2016)
– Koji Maeda’s Lani, winner of the UAE Derby (Group II) in his most recent start, worked three furlongs in :37.40 with blinkers on over a track labeled fast during the 8:30-8:45 a.m. training period reserved for Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks contenders.
Loki’s Vengeance seeks re-affirmation in Affirmed Success
ELMONT, N.Y. - Multiple stakes winner Loki's Vengeance returns to action Friday to defend his title against eight other New York-breds in the $100,000 Affirmed Success, the opening-day feature as Belmont Park begins its 54-day spring/summer meet.
First race post time is 1:30 p.m., with gates opening at 11:30 a.m. Admission is $5 and general parking is free.
Live racing returns to Belmont Park on April 29
Second annual Belmont Stakes Racing Festival set for June 9-11
ELMONT, N.Y. - Featuring the second annual Belmont Stakes Racing Festival, itself anchored by the 148th renewal of the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes on Saturday, June 11, live thoroughbred racing will return to Belmont Park on Friday, April 29 for its 54-day spring/summer meet packed with exciting racing action and a variety of special events designed for fans of all ages.
Friday, April 22 2016
Gulfstream News & Notes - Thu 4/21
Majesto Turns in Final Local Workout for May 7 Kentucky Derby
Florida Derby Runner-Up Breezes Mile at Gulfstream Park West
Cold Snack Thirty Kicks Off Juvenile Racing Season with a Victory
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL
– Grupo 7C Racing Stable’s Majesto was sent to the Gulfstream Park West track Thursday morning for his final local workout for a scheduled start in the Kentucky Derby (G1) at Churchill Downs May 7. The Gustavo Delgado-trained 3-year-old breezed a mile in 1:44 2/5.
The son of Tiznow is scheduled to ship to Kentucky Friday.