Thursday, November 21 2013
Fair Grounds Barn Notes: Thursday, November 21
NEW ORLEANS (Thursday, November 21, 2013) – Fresh off his 10th training title at Fair Grounds Racecourse & Slots last spring, New Orleans-born conditioner Tom Amoss is eagerly anticipating another Thanksgiving Day at his hometown oval.
Thursday, May 16 2013
FAIR GROUNDS ALUMS LINING UP TO TACKLE ORB IN SATURDAY’S PREAKNESS
NEW ORLEANS (Thursday, May 16, 2013) – If Kentucky Derby winner Orb does not win Saturday’s Preakness Stakes (GI) at Pimlico Race Course and is therefore denied a shot at sweeping the Triple Crown, there is a good chance it will be a horse that raced in New Orleans playing the role of spoiler. Four of the nine horses entered for Saturday’s $1 million middle jewel were prominent in the 3-year-old division at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots this season: $1 million Louisiana Derby (GII) runner-up and Kentucky Derby fifth Mylute, Louisiana Derby third and Illinois Derby (GIII) winner Departing, Lecomte Stakes (GIII) winner and Kentucky Derby sixth Oxbow, and Louisiana Derby also-ran Titletown Five.
Thursday, April 25 2013
EIGHT FAIR GROUNDS HORSES POINTING TO KENTUCKY DERBY
• Trainers Include New Orleans Natives Amoss, Stewart
• Napravnik, Talamo, Borel, Hernandez Among Possible Jockeys
• Unlimited Budget Aims to Continue Fair Ground Oaks-Kentucky Oaks Trend
Saturday, March 30 2013
COMPELLING GRADE II QUARTET TOPS LOUISIANA DERBY DAY
• $150,000-Guaranteed All-Grade II Pick Four, Races 7-10
• Three Louisiana-bred Stakes Add An Interesting Garnish
• Jockey John Jacinto Body Sore But OK Following Thursday Fall
Saturday, March 23 2013
PLETCHER TUNES UP ‘LIVE’ QUINTET FOR DERBY DAY
• Revolutionary, Palace Malice Coming for Louisiana Derby
• Unlimited Budget Returning to New Orleans for Fair Grounds Oaks
• Graydar Gearing Up for Battle in New Orleans Handicap
• Doubles Partner Well-Matched in Muniz Memorial Handicap
Monday, March 18 2013
BOURBON COURAGE: ONE MORE ROUND
• Ground Transport Fires Another Bullet Saturday for Louisiana Derby
• New Orleans Saints Package Part of FG’s Crawfish Boil Monday
• Jockey Pat Johnson Suffers Broken Collarbone Saturday
• Trainer Mike Maker Gets 1,000th Win; Adds 1,001 Later at FG
• Updated Louisiana Derby Probables
Saturday, March 16 2013
ICON IKE TAKES COMMAND OF COLONEL POWER
• Extravaganza Bests Storm’s Promise, Monono in Happy Ticket
NEW ORLEANS (Saturday, March 16, 2013) – Taking advantage of the contentious speed duel up front in Saturday’s 25th renewal of the $75,000 Colonel Power Stakes at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots, Fletcher and Carolyn Gray’s Icon Ike responded to the commands of jockey James Graham in the final furlong and drew off late for a 2 3/4-length score at the wire.
LATEST LOUISIANA DERBY PROBABLES
Based on Racing Office updates, published news reports and interviews with horsemen.
Louisiana Derby nominations close Saturday. Entries to be drawn March 27 at 11:30 a.m. in the Fair Grounds paddock.
Friday, March 15 2013
SUM OF THE PARTS TOP PICK IN COLONEL POWER
• Undefeated Same Cross Risks Victory Skein in Happy Ticket Stakes
Klaravich Stable and William Lawrence’s Sum of the Parts, away from competition since a fourth-place finish in Santa Anita’s Grade I Breeders’ Cup Sprint last Nov. 3, has been installed as the 5-2 morning line favorite when he makes his first start of the year in Saturday’s $75,000 Colonel Power Stakes at about 5 1/2-furlongs over the Stall-Wilson Turf Course at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots.
Tuesday, March 12 2013
HERNANDEZ: ‘ONLY MY PRIDE BRUISED’
• Believe You Can Being Prepared for Championship Run
• Delaunay in Fine Fettle Following Saturday’s Duncan Kenner
Sunday, March 10 2013
BELIEVE YOU CAN UNBELIEVABLE IN N.O. LADIES
• Delaunay Does It Again in Saturday’s $150,000 Duncan F. Kenner
By Graham Ross, Staff Writer
NEW ORLEANS (Saturday, March 9, 2013) – Brereton Jones’s Believe You Can, away alertly and quickly in command, made the pace and increased the margin while galloping out in the late stages to a 5 3/4-length win in Saturday’s fourth running of the listed $150,000 New Orleans Ladies at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots.
Saturday, September 01 2012
Remainder of Summer Quarter Horse Meet Canceled in Aftermath of Hurricane Isaac
NEW ORLEANS (Friday, August 31, 2012) – After consulting with the Louisiana Horsemen’s Benevolent & Protective Association and the Louisiana State Racing Commission, Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots has canceled the remainder of the 2012 Summer Quarter Horse Meet due to complications caused by Hurricane Isaac, pending official LSRC approval.
The last four days of the season, originally scheduled for Wednesday to Saturday of this week, were postponed as the storm that would become Hurricane Isaac moved into the Gulf of Mexico last weekend. A mandatory evacuation of the Fair Grounds barn area sent about 700 horses to safer locations throughout the region.