Friday, June 10 2016
Chad Brown does New York his way as Dacita leada 1-2-3 finish
ELMONT, N.Y. - Dacita spearheaded a sweep of the top three positions in the $500,000 New York Stakes for Chad Brown, rallying from off the pace to edge stablemates Sea Calisi and Guapaza in the Grade 2 turf race at Belmont Park on Friday.
Dacita, the last horse to beat champion mare Tepin, returned to top form to take the 73rd running of the New York under new rider Irad Ortiz Jr., prevailing by three-quarters of a length over odds-on favorite Sea Calisi, who trailed for the first mile and was stymied along the inside with Jose Ortiz in the stretch.
The True North Quotes
Charlton Baker, winning owner and trainer of Joking (No. 2):
"I'm very impressed. He's doing great, but today was [a] step up. I didn't know how he'd handle it. I know he's doing super and then again the track was fast all day. It seemed like speed was dominating."
On his thinking down the stretch:
"I was hoping he'd get there. He gives you that kick. He's got that killer instinct now that he wants to get there."
Belmont Park Notes 6/10
• Favorite's role suits Team Exaggerator in G1 Belmont Stakes
• Stewart right at home with pair of Belmont Stakes contenders
• Belmont newcomer Geroux has eye on Saratoga
• Irish Rookie ready for her close-up
• Trojan Nation connections hope third time is a charm
• Lani's connections hoping for fast track for G1 Belmont
• Cassidy makes New York return with G1 Just a Game pair
- From a statistical standpoint, favorites have fared well in the Belmont Stakes. Sixty-two of its first 147 runnings were won by the bettors' choice, a 42 percent success rate.
Last year, Triple Crown champion American Pharoah became the 13th of 34 odds-on favorites to win the Belmont (38 percent) since mutuels came to New York in 1940.
Thursday, June 09 2016
Baffert, Zayats hold Q&A at Belmont
ELMONT, N.Y. - The connections of 2015 Belmont Stakes winner American Pharoah returned to Belmont Park on June 9 for the first time since the Zayat Stables' LLC homebred became the 12th Triple Crown winner and the first in 37 years, and their experience was powerful.
"It was exciting to come back to the scene of the biggest accomplishment, ever, in my life," said Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert, following the opening day's card of the Belmont Stakes Racing Festival, when he and Ahmed Zayat and Justin Zayat addressed a receptive group of fans in the Clubhouse during a free Q&A session, signed autographs and posed for photos with them.
Belmont Park Notes 6/9
• Desormeaux sees Exaggerator 'sitting on a huge race' for G1 Belmont
• All systems go for Governor Malibu
• Less is more Thursday for Belmont hopefuls Brody's Cause, Cherry Wine
• Pletcher pleased with Belmont posts for Destin, Stradivari
• Suddenbreakingnews ready for Belmont engagement
• Team Nyquist rooting for Exaggerator in Saturday's Belmont Stakes
• Under the Wire: Lani; Creator, Gettysburg
- Even on his day off, Grade 1 Preakness Stakes winner Exaggerator, the 9-5 program favorite for Saturday's Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes presented by NYRA Bets, showed plenty of energy while walking for trainer Keith Desormeaux on a sunny but blustery Thursday morning at Belmont Park.
Wednesday, June 08 2016
Full field for salty edition of G1 Met Mile
ELMONT, N.Y. - Trainers Todd Pletcher and Kiaran McLaughlin are taking the triple threat tact for the Grade 1, $1.25 million Mohegan Sun Metropolitan Handicap, with each sending out a trio of runners in the full field of 13 tough and talented horses contesting the 123rd running of the race at Belmont Park Saturday.
Exaggerator goes from hunter to hunted in G1 Belmont Stakes
ELMONT, N.Y. - No longer in the shadows following his emphatic victory in the Grade 1 Preakness Stakes, Big Chief Racing, Head of Plains Partners and Rocker O Ranch's Exaggerator will have the headliner's spotlight trained on him early Saturday evening in the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes presented by NYRA Bets at Belmont Park.
Double Entendre Set for Turf Try in Saturday’s Christmas Past
Tyler Gaffalione On Sidelines until Thursday, June 16
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL
– Loooch Racing Stables and Glenn Ellis’ Double Entendre is scheduled for a drop in class and a move to turf in Saturday’s $75,000 Christmas Past Stakes at Gulfstream Park.
Trained by Peter Walder, the daughter of American Lion is set to meet 10 rivals in the 1 1/16-mile turf stakes for 3-year-old fillies after back-to-back Grade 2 appearances in the Gulfstream Park Oaks April 2 and the Black-Eyed Susan May 20.
Gulfstream Hosts Ultimate Belmont Stakes Watch Party
Special Promotions Highlight Triple Crown Simulcast
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL – Gulfstream Park will play host to South Florida’s ultimate Belmont Stakes Watch Party Saturday, when the simulcast of the third leg of Thoroughbred racing’s Triple Crown will be preceded by a day of special promotions and a live racing program.
Silks, Gulfstream’s state-of-the-art simulcast facility will open at 10:30 a.m. Saturday. First-race post time for Belmont Park’s stakes-laden program is set for 11:35 a.m. featuring a host of Gulfstream’s Championship Meet alumni. First-race post time for Gulfstream Park’s live card will be 1:15 p.m.
Tuesday, June 07 2016
Final contenders arrive for Saturday’s G1 Belmont Stakes
ELMONT, N.Y. - All 13 expected contenders for Saturday's Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes are on the grounds at Belmont Park following the arrival of Seeking the Soul, Suddenbreakingnews and Trojan Nation late Tuesday afternoon.
The Tex Sutton charter carrying the trio originated in California with a stop in Lexington, Ky. before landing at Long Island MacArthur Airport in Islip, N.Y. at 2:17 p.m. All three horses were on the grounds by 4:30 p.m., just as a brief rainstorm hit the track.
Belmont Park Notes 6/7
• Desormeaux rides Exaggerator Tuesday in final work for G1 Belmont
• One year later, Baffert 'glad to be a part of history'
• Hennig hopes that lightning will strike twice with Strike Charmer
• Pletcher weighs post position relevance in Belmont
• 'All is good' for Creator, Gettysburg
- Reunited with Hall of Fame jockey Kent Desormeaux for the first time since their 3 ½-length victory in the Grade 1 Preakness Stakes May 21, Exaggerator breezed five furlongs Tuesday morning in his final work prior to Saturday's 148th running of the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes.
Belmont Park Notes 6/6
• Gettysburg joins G1 Belmont field
• Creator works 'nice and steady' for Belmont
• Belmont-bound Suddenbreakingnews stretches his legs ahead of trip
• Desormeaux watches Exaggerator's Monday gallop for G1 Belmont
• Gunther family eyes Belmont with homebred Stradivari
• Europeans clear quarantine; Sloane Avenue on target for G1 Met Mile
• Belmont contenders Brody's Cause, Cherry Wine return to track Monday
• Lani team watching weather, could breeze Tuesday
- Early Monday afternoon, trainer Steve Asmussen informed New York Racing Association officials that Gettysburg, a horse he recently received from WinStar Farm LLC to train, will be entered in the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes June 11.