Thursday, June 04 2015
Belmont Stakes Notes 6/4
• Triple Crown hopeful American Pharoah is 'all systems go' for G1 Belmont Stakes
• Pletcher duo well-suited to Belmont, according to trainer
• Anticipation builds for McLaughlin, Frosted
• Stewart pleased with rider change on Tale of Verve for Belmont
• Mubtaahij receives final blowout for Belmont
• Keen Ice gets familiar with 'Big Sandy'
• Frammento gives Zito third chance to upset Triple Crown
ELMONT, N.Y. - All systems go.
That was the pronouncement by Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert after he watched Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner American Pharoah gallop on the main track Thursday morning in preparation for Saturday's Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes, the third leg of the elusive Triple Crown to be contested as part of the Belmont Stakes Racing Festival presented by DraftKings.
Wednesday, June 03 2015
Shook Up slight favorite in tough G1 Acorn
ELMONT, N.Y. - Grade 1 Kentucky Oaks runner-up Shook Up has been installed as a mild 7-2 favorite in a competitive field of 12 for the 85th running of the Grade 1, $750,000 Acorn Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at a mile on Saturday at Belmont Park.
Tonalist takes Belmont win streak into loaded G1 Metropolitan Handicap
ELMONT, N.Y. - One year after his upset victory over California Chrome in the 146th Belmont Stakes, Tonalist returns to Belmont Park as the horse to beat in a star-studded renewal of the Grade 1, $1.25 million Metropolitan Handicap.
The 122nd running of the Met Mile is one of six Grade 1 races, nine graded stakes and 10 overall stakes on Saturday's 13-race Belmont Stakes Day program, capped by the $1.5 million 'Test of the Champion,' where American Pharoah seeks to become the 12th Triple Crown winner and first since 1978.
Belmont Stakes Draw Quotes
Trainer Bob Baffert (American Pharoah, post position 5, 3-5 morning line): "I don't really think it's a horrible post position. I've always liked the five. It's one I've had good luck with. The main thing is that the horse is doing well; I think that's the most important thing. He's doing great, but we still have to get around there."
"I think we don't know until it happens. A mile and a half is very foreign for most of those 3-year-olds and for me. We're just going to get him ready and if he's great he'll get it done."
American Pharoah gets acquainted with Belmont main track
ELMONT, N.Y. - Triple Crown hopeful American Pharoah went out onto a sloppy Belmont Park main track for the first time this morning to stretch his legs and become acclimated with his new surroundings as he prepares for Saturday's Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes as part of the Belmont Stakes Racing Festival presented by DraftKings, and perhaps a date with destiny.
Tuesday, June 02 2015
Triple Crown hopeful American Pharoah arrives at Belmont Park
ELMONT, N.Y. - Triple Crown hopeful American Pharoah arrived in New York safe and sound on Tuesday afternoon, landing at Long Island's MacArthur Airport before traveling 40 miles west to take up residence in Barn 1 on the Belmont Park backstretch at approximately 3:40 p.m.
Belmont Park Notes 6/2
• Keen Ice keen to go for Belmont Stakes, joining American Pharoah en route to Belmont Park
• Stewart in familiar spot with Tale of Verve in Belmont
• Clement looking forward to Grade 1 Met Mile with Tonalist
• Belmont Stakes contender Frammento leaves Saratoga for Long Island
• McLaughlin loaded with stakes runners for 'big weekend'
ELMONT, N.Y. - Keen Ice, who will carry the colors of Jerry Crawford's Donegal Racing in the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes, wrapped up the last of his works Tuesday morning when the bay colt traveled four furlongs in 50:20 over a fast Churchill Downs main track.
Churchill Downs Barn Notes: Tue 6/2
American Pharoah June 2 departure photo credit: Churchill Downs/Reed Palmer Photography
KEEN ICE BREEZES FOUR FURLONGS IN :50.20 FOR BELMONT STAKES; AMERICAN PHAROAH, KEEN ICE BOUND FOR NEW YORK
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Tuesday, June 2, 2015) - Donegal Racing's Keen Ice put in his final work Tuesday at Churchill Downs before taking on Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (GI) and Preakness Stakes (GI) winner American Pharoah in Saturday's $1.5 million Belmont Stakes (GI) at Belmont Park.
Monday, June 01 2015
Belmont Park Notes 6/1
• Triple Crown hopeful American Pharoah turns in final breeze for G1 Belmont Stakes; probable Belmont field now stands at eight
• Multiple G1 winner Carpe Diem withdrawn from Belmont
• Zito finalizing travel plans for Belmont Stakes contender Frammento
• Honor Code on track for Grade 1 NYRA.com Met Mile; Bayern breezes at Churchill Downs for $1.25 million race
• Untapable, Shook Up work toward Belmont Stakes Day assignments
• Jerkens has strong hand for Belmont Stakes undercard
• Finnegans Wake looks for back-to-back G1 wins in Knob Creek Manhattan
Churchill Downs Notes: American Pharoah Breezes Five Furlongs in 1:00.20
AMERICAN PHAROAH BREEZES FIVE FURLONGS IN 1:00.20 FOR BELMONT STAKES;
SCHEDULED TO LEAVE BARN 33 FOR NEW YORK ON TUESDAY AT 10 A.M. ET
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Monday, June 1, 2015) – Under cloudy skies, light rain and 58 degrees, Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (GI) and Preakness Stakes (GI) winner American Pharoah completed his serious preparation for Saturday’s $1.5 million Belmont Stakes (GI) with a five-furlong breeze over a Churchill Downs track rated “fast” in 1:00.20 with Martin Garcia in the saddle.
Saturday, May 30 2015
AMERICAN OAKS STAKES QUOTES
BRICE BLANC, SPANISH QUEEN, WINNER: “My saddle slipped a little bit and it affected my steering because she was a little aggressive when that happened. The more I pulled on her, the more the saddle moved forward so I was a little . . . I wouldn’t say out of control but I had to give and take a little bit more so it wouldn’t move any further on me. I finally got her to slow down. It shifted forward on me again once I made the lead. I’m tall and she’s little so that made it a little difficult.
Belmont Park Notes 5/30
• Tale of Verve breezes five furlongs in advance of G1 Belmont Stakes
• Belmont Stakes contender Frammento works for two-time winner and Hall of Famer Zito
• Mubtaahij hits the track again for the Belmont Stakes
• Pletcher's Belmont trio return from works in good shape
• Promise Me Silver fires a bullet ahead of G1 Acorn
• Fields taking shape for G1's on Belmont Stakes Day
ELMONT, N.Y. - Belmont Stakes hopeful Tale of Verve took to the Belmont main track early Saturday morning to log his final breeze in advance of the $1.5 million race on June 6.