Sunday, September 25 2016
Churchill Downs Stakes Recap & Quotes
MINES AND MAGIC WINS SATURDAY NIGHT’S $100,000 DOGWOOD;
ARABIAN HORSE OF THE YEAR PADDYS DAY ROLLS IN PRESIDENT OF UAE CUP
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016)
– G. Watts Humphrey Jr.’s homebred Mines and Magic muscled her way through an opening at the top of the stretch to grab the lead with three-sixteenths of a mile to run and held off a late charge by Wonderment to win Saturday night’s 41st running of the $100,000 Dogwood Stakes Presented by GE Appliances (listed) at Churchill Downs by three-quarters of a length.
Thursday, September 22 2016
Gulfstream’s Rainbow 6 Carryover Friday at $58,000
Super Hi 5 Carryover
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL – Gulfstream Park’s 20-cent Rainbow 6 will have a carryover Friday of $58,649.90.
Multiple tickets Thursday with six winners returned $3,094.78.
First race post time is 1:15 p.m. Friday’s Rainbow 6 sequence starts with the fourth race, a maiden claimer at six furlongs, and ends with a 7 ½-furlong turf event with a field of 10 maiden claimers.
There will also be a Super Hi 5 carryover in the first race of $1,927.02.
Churchill Downs Stakes Advance
EMMZY ATTEMPTS TO LAND FIRST STAKES WIN IN SATURDAY NIGHT’S DOGWOOD
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2016)
– Zayat Stables LLC’s Indiana Oaks (Grade II) runner-up Emmzy landed the outside post in a field of eight 3-year-old fillies as she attempts to land her first stakes victory in Saturday night’s 41st running of the $100,000 Dogwood Stakes Presented by GE Appliances (listed) – the featured seven-furlong event at Churchill Downs during a special Downs After Dark nighttime racing program.
Double Pick 6 carryover of $106K on tap Friday at Belmont Park
ELMONT, N.Y. - The Pick 6 eluded bettors for the second consecutive day on Thursday at Belmont, triggering a two-day carryover of $106,527 into Friday's card.
Thursday's Pick-6 began with Sweetrayofshine's ($5.90) win in Race 5, followed by 43-1 longshot American Mink ($89.50) upsetting race 6. Bonita Bianca ($23.80) won race 7, Danilovna ($13.80) was victorious in Race 8, Diversify ($7.50) captured race 9 and Twisted Tom's victory in Race 9 closed out the day.
A consolation prize to bettors with five of six winners returned $4,052.
Wednesday, September 21 2016
Mrs McDougal looks for another graded stakes win in G2 Noble Damsel
ELMONT, N.Y. - Mrs McDougal will look to add a second graded stakes victory to her ledger as she headlines a field of eight fillies and mares 3-years-old and up in Saturday's Grade 3, $200,000 Noble Damsel at Belmont Park.
A 4-year-old, Mrs McDougal will gain class relief after back-to-back Grade 1 starts for trainer Chad Brown. The Medaglia d'Oro bay filly came in third in her last Belmont start, finishing 4 ¾-lengths behind winner Celestine and a length behind Recepta in the Longines Just a Game on June 11.
Saturday, September 17 2016
Rainbow 6 Carryover Jackpot Rises to $41,185 for Sunday’s Card
Super Hi-5 Carryover of $5,383 for First Race
Trainer David Braddy Notches Win No. 999
Tyler Gaffalione Rides Four Winners
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL
– The 20-cent Rainbow 6 went unsolved for the sixth straight racing program Saturday at Gulfstream Park, producing a $41,185.45 carryover jackpot for Sunday’s 11-race program.
Multiple tickets with all six winners were each worth $3,195.30.
A family affair: On Leave makes the grade in G2 Sands Point
ELMONT, N.Y. - Stuart Janney III's homebred On Leave kept her 2016 record intact with a 2 ¾-length front-running victory against 3-year-old fillies on the turf in Saturday's featured race, the Grade 2, $500,000 Sands Point at Belmont Park.
On Leave broke alertly under jockey Jose Ortiz and led the field of seven through a tepid pace, covering the opening quarter-mile in 24.94 seconds and the half in 49.86. Pursued closest by Elysea's World and Diamond Fields, the gray daughter of War Front held her rivals at bay as the field turned for home, cutting the corner and drawing off in the stretch to complete the 1 1/8-mile route on the firm inner turf in 1:47.82.
Not This Time Dominates Iroquois
NOT THIS TIME DOMINATES IROQUOIS AT CHURCHILL DOWNS;
TAKES ‘ROAD TO THE DERBY’ LEAD, EARNS TRIP TO BREEDERS’ CUP JUVENILE
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Saturday, Sept. 17, 2016)
– Albaugh Family Stable’s homebred Not This Time, a half-brother to last year’s Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile winner Liam’s Map, is the early points leader on the 2017 “Road to the Kentucky Derby” following a jaw-dropping 8 ¾-length demolition job under jockey Robby Albarado in the 35th running of the $150,000 Iroquois Presented by TwinSpires.com (Grade III) for 2-year-olds at 1 1/16 miles on Saturday at Churchill Downs.
Friday, September 16 2016
Strong 2-Year-old Program Makes Gulfstream a Track for All Seasons
Three Rules, Cajun Delta Dawn, Gunnevera Lead Class of ‘16
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL
– A sensational day of racing on the Sept. 3 Florida Sire Stakes (FSS) program contributed significantly to the growing realization within the Thoroughbred industry that Gulfstream Park no longer has an offseason.
Tour de force performances by undefeated Three Rules in the $300,000 Affirmed and Cajun Delta Dawn in the $300,000 Susan’s Girl graced a program of six stakes that generated a handle of $8.101 million – an increase of more than 46 percent over betting on the second leg of FSS program in 2015.
Kentucky Downs up 34 percent in overall wagering
Total wagering up nearly 34%, on-track 48% as Kentucky Downs closes record 2016 meet
Races averages 10.96 horses, as bettors’ group boss says,
‘Horseplayers buy value; Kentucky Downs had it in spades’
FRANKLIN, Ky. (Sept. 15, 2016)
— Spurred by unprecedented purses for horsemen and a Horseplayers’ Racetrack mantra that resonated with bettors, Kentucky Downs closed its five-date boutique meet Thursday with total wagering up nearly 34 percent.
Betting on the closing-day card of $3,660,588 brought all-sources handle to $22,540,761.22 for an average of $4,508,152 a day. Already a record after Sunday’s card, the final numbers reflect an increase of 33.92 over last year’s previous record total of $16,831,333.
On Leave looks to go four in a row in G2 Sands Point
ELMONT, N.Y. - Stuart Janney III's homebred On Leave will look to extend her win streak to four when she makes her graded stakes debut in the 22nd running of the Grade 2, $500,000 Sands Point on Saturday at Belmont Park.
A 3-year-old half-sister to multiple Grade 2 winner Ironicus, On Leave has been perfect in three starts this year for Hall of Fame trainer Shug McGaughey since returning from an eight-month layoff this spring. The gray daughter of War Front broke her maiden by two lengths in her sophomore debut at Belmont in June and returned to post a three-quarter-length victory against optional claimers the following month.
Monday, September 12 2016
New Era at Rosecroft Begins Tuesday
New High-Definition Infield Television, New Gate
New Pick 5 with Low 12-Percent Takeout
Superfectas on Every Race, New Tote System
First Race Post Set for 6:40 p.m.
FORT WASHINGTON, MD
– Rosecroft, which has hosted the biggest stars in harness racing during its 67-year history, begins a new era Tuesday evening when it opens its fall meet under the new ownership of The Stronach Group, parent company of the Maryland Jockey Club.
The track that has hosted champions such as Forrest Skipper, Mack Lobell, Camtastic and Cam’s Card Shark, along with the sport’s most accomplished horsemen, opens with a 12-race program beginning at 6:40 p.m.