Thursday, September 29 2016
Pricci, Aiello Handicap Saturday’s $1.6 Million Florida Sire Stakes
Undefeated Three Rules, Cajun Delta Dawn Go for Saturday Sweep
13-Race Program Draws 144 Entries
Mandatory Payouts of Rainbow 6, Pick 5, Super Hi 5
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL - Gulfstream Park's Saturday program - featuring the $1.6 million Florida Sire Stakes - has drawn one of the strongest cards of the summer season. The 13-race program features nine races with 10 starters or more as well as eight stakes including the $500,000 In Reality and $500,000 My Dear Girl.
With a full card, seven turf races, eight 2-year-old races (four turf) and mandatory payouts of the 20-cent Rainbow 6, 50-cent Pick 5 and $1 Super Hi 5, Gulfstream's Pete Aiello and HorseRaceInsider.com's John Pricci take a look at the key races on Saturday's program including the 12-horse field In Reality, 13-horse field My Dear Girl and the $150,000 Foolish Pleasure and $150,000 Meadow Star.
Watch the Florida Sire Stakes Preview Show at:
Flintshire faces few foes in G1 Joe Hirsch
ELMONT, N.Y. - Undefeated since being transferred to the care of trainer Chad Brown, Juddmonte Farms' multiple graded stakes winning turf specialist Flintshire will face three rivals as he goes in search of his fourth consecutive victory headlining Saturday's $500,000 Joe Hirsch Turf Classic at Belmont Park.
The Joe Hirsch will be run as race 6 on a star-studded card that includes four additional stakes - the Grade 1, $400,000 Beldame, the Grade 1, $350,000 Vosburgh, the Grade 2, $300,000 Gallant Bloom, and the Grade 3, $200,000 Pilgrim. The Joe Hirsch serves as a "Win and You're In" race with an all-fees paid entry to next month's Breeders' Cup Turf Division at Santa Anita Park.
Churchill Downs Barn Notes: Thursday, Sept. 29
CHAMPION SPRINTER RUNHAPPY ‘BETTER THAN HE WAS A YEAR AGO’;
MAKES LONG-AWAITED COMEBACK IN SATURDAY’S GRADE III, $100,000 ACK ACK
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Thursday, Sept. 29, 2016)
– The much-anticipated wait for the return of reigning Champion Sprinter Runhappy ends Saturday when the James McIngvale-owned son of 2010 Kentucky Derby winner Super Saver makes his 4-year-old debut in the $100,000 Ack Ack Presented by TwinSpires.com (Grade III) at Churchill Downs.
Trainer Laura Wohlers believes that her sprinting sensation is coming back better than ever.
SANTA ANITA STABLE NOTES (THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 29
•RAIL OR NO, CHROME SET FOR AWESOME AGAIN
• DORTMUND ADDS BLINKERS AGAINST CHROME
• ARGENTINE-BRED FILLY IN CLASSY RODEO DRIVE
• McANALLY: ANOTHER OPENING, ANOTHER SHOW
• MACHOWSKY HAS TWO FOR EDDIE D. ON FRIDAY
PACE COULD PUT CHROME IN CATBIRD SEAT
The number one post position didn’t hamper California Chrome in the slightest when he
rolled to a front-running, five-length victory in the Grade I Pacific Classic at 1 ¼ miles on Aug. 20.
Call it negative karma, but the reigning king of Thoroughbreds drew the rail again for Saturday’s Awesome Again Stakes at 1 1/8 miles.
Art Sherman doesn’t expect it to make a difference.
Sunday, September 25 2016
Three Rules, Cajun Delta Dawn Breeze For Oct. 1 Florida Sire Stakes
Undefeated Juveniles Eye Series Sweeps on $1.6 Million Stakes Card
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL
– Undefeated Three Rules and Cajun Delta Dawn breezed at Gulfstream Park Saturday in preparation for Florida Sire Stakes sweep attempts next Saturday on a program featuring eight stakes worth $1.6 million in purses.
Shade Tree Thoroughbreds’ Three Rules breezed five furlongs in 59.56 seconds, the fastest of 41 workouts recorded at the distance, for a scheduled start in the $500,000 FSS In Reality. Curtis Mikkelsen’s Cajun Delta Dawn breezed five furlongs in 1:01.70 for the $500,000 FSS My Dear Girl.
Belmont Park Notes, Sunday, September 25
• Brown's fleet preps for "super" Saturdays; Connect in good form following upset victory in Pennsylvania Derby
• Pletcher readying Ectot, J.S. Choice, Off the Tracks, Theory, Nonna Mela, Cherry Lodge, Syndergaard, et al for upcoming stakes engagements
• Effinex and Shaman Ghost on schedule for G1 Jockey Club Gold Cup
• Clement readies pair for G3 Pilgrim
- Less than 12 hours after Mrs McDougal and Zindaya finished 1-2 in the Grade 3 Noble Damsel and Connect upset the Grade 1 Pennsylvania Derby at Parx Racing, trainer Chad Brown was back supervising his fleet of contenders for two upcoming "Super" Saturdays at Belmont Park, led by Grade 1 Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational heavyweight Flintshire and Grade 1 Flower Bowl invitee Lady Eli.
Mrs McDougal goes gate-to-wire to win G3 Noble Damsel
ELMONT, N.Y. - Mrs McDougal started strong and held off all challengers in the seven-horse field for a gate-to-wire victory in Saturday's Grade 3, $200,000 Noble Damsel for fillies and mares at Belmont Park.
Breaking from post 5 under Irad Ortiz, Jr., the Chad Brown-trained daughter of Medaglia d'Oro set fractions of 24.42, 48.64 and 1:12.27 before holding off stablemate Zindaya in the stretch to win by two lengths. She completed the mile on the Widener turf in 1:34.99 for her second career stakes win and first since the 2015 Grade 2 Lake George.
Churchill Downs Stakes Recap & Quotes
MINES AND MAGIC WINS SATURDAY NIGHT’S $100,000 DOGWOOD;
ARABIAN HORSE OF THE YEAR PADDYS DAY ROLLS IN PRESIDENT OF UAE CUP
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016)
– G. Watts Humphrey Jr.’s homebred Mines and Magic muscled her way through an opening at the top of the stretch to grab the lead with three-sixteenths of a mile to run and held off a late charge by Wonderment to win Saturday night’s 41st running of the $100,000 Dogwood Stakes Presented by GE Appliances (listed) at Churchill Downs by three-quarters of a length.
Thursday, September 22 2016
Gulfstream’s Rainbow 6 Carryover Friday at $58,000
Super Hi 5 Carryover
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL – Gulfstream Park’s 20-cent Rainbow 6 will have a carryover Friday of $58,649.90.
Multiple tickets Thursday with six winners returned $3,094.78.
First race post time is 1:15 p.m. Friday’s Rainbow 6 sequence starts with the fourth race, a maiden claimer at six furlongs, and ends with a 7 ½-furlong turf event with a field of 10 maiden claimers.
There will also be a Super Hi 5 carryover in the first race of $1,927.02.
Churchill Downs Stakes Advance
EMMZY ATTEMPTS TO LAND FIRST STAKES WIN IN SATURDAY NIGHT’S DOGWOOD
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2016)
– Zayat Stables LLC’s Indiana Oaks (Grade II) runner-up Emmzy landed the outside post in a field of eight 3-year-old fillies as she attempts to land her first stakes victory in Saturday night’s 41st running of the $100,000 Dogwood Stakes Presented by GE Appliances (listed) – the featured seven-furlong event at Churchill Downs during a special Downs After Dark nighttime racing program.
Double Pick 6 carryover of $106K on tap Friday at Belmont Park
ELMONT, N.Y. - The Pick 6 eluded bettors for the second consecutive day on Thursday at Belmont, triggering a two-day carryover of $106,527 into Friday's card.
Thursday's Pick-6 began with Sweetrayofshine's ($5.90) win in Race 5, followed by 43-1 longshot American Mink ($89.50) upsetting race 6. Bonita Bianca ($23.80) won race 7, Danilovna ($13.80) was victorious in Race 8, Diversify ($7.50) captured race 9 and Twisted Tom's victory in Race 9 closed out the day.
A consolation prize to bettors with five of six winners returned $4,052.
Wednesday, September 21 2016
Mrs McDougal looks for another graded stakes win in G2 Noble Damsel
ELMONT, N.Y. - Mrs McDougal will look to add a second graded stakes victory to her ledger as she headlines a field of eight fillies and mares 3-years-old and up in Saturday's Grade 3, $200,000 Noble Damsel at Belmont Park.
A 4-year-old, Mrs McDougal will gain class relief after back-to-back Grade 1 starts for trainer Chad Brown. The Medaglia d'Oro bay filly came in third in her last Belmont start, finishing 4 ¾-lengths behind winner Celestine and a length behind Recepta in the Longines Just a Game on June 11.