Friday, May 30 2014
Belmont Park Notes, Friday, May 30
• Belmont Stakes hopeful Commanding Curve arrives at Belmont
• Beholder ships in, ready for G1 Ogden Phipps
• Goldencents arrives in Belmont, targeting G1 Met Mile
• Kid Cruz breezes six furlongs in 1:14.53, still possible for Belmont Stakes
• Grade 1's on Belmont Stakes undercard taking shape
Rainbow 6 Survives; Saturday’s Carryover Jackpot Has $50,000 Guarantee
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL – There were two live unique 20-cent Rainbow 6 tickets heading into the last race Friday at Gulfstream Park. Had either No. 7 Dardanian or No. 10 Lord Lemon prevailed in the eighth race a lucky ticket holder would have cashed for a jackpot carrying a $50,000 guarantee on the first racing day since last Monday’s mandatory payout. Neither horse finished in the money.
California Chrome schools in gate, ready to breeze tomorrow morning
ELMONT, N.Y. - Triple Crown hopeful California Chrome took a brief detour to school in the starting gate around 6:40 Friday morning before galloping around the Belmont Park oval.
With New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) starter Roy Williamson supervising, the Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner was loaded into a stall in the starting gate on the backstretch, where he stood quietly for several moments with his hind end pressing against the back of the gate.
Thursday, May 29 2014
California Chrome schools in paddock before turning in routine gallop
ELMONT, N.Y. - California Chrome, who is aiming for a sweep of the Triple Crown, schooled in the paddock for the first time on Thursday before proceeding to gallop two miles over the Belmont Park main track.
The 3-year-old, who is slated to compete in the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes on June 7 at Belmont Park, walked around the paddock shortly after 6 a.m. before standing in a stall for approximately five minutes. He then proceeded through the tunnel and onto the main track where he jogged clockwise to the half-mile pole before commencing his usual counter-clockwise two-mile gallop.
Wednesday, May 28 2014
California Chrome still raring to go on Wednesday
ELMONT, N.Y. - Triple Crown hopeful California Chrome on Wednesday picked back up where he left off the previous day, showing the same eagerness he displayed a day earlier when galloping his customary two-mile circuit on an overcast morning at Belmont Park.
Monday, May 26 2014
Jack Milton propels Pletcher to top of all-time earnings list
ELMONT, N.Y. - Jack Milton pushed six-time Eclipse Award winning trainer Todd Pletcher to the top of the North American all-time earnings list on Monday with an emphatic 2 ¾-length victory in the Grade 3, $300,000 Poker on Belmont Park's Widener turf course.
Belmont Park Notes: Monday, May 26
• Matterhorn purchased by Eclipse Thoroughbred Partners, now possible for Belmont Stakes; Comissioner, Palace Malice, and Princess of Sylmar emerge from Sunday works in good shape
• Matuszak breezes for G1 Belmont, Close Hatches for G1 Phipps
• Wicked Strong exits one-mile breeze in good shape
• Tonalist on key following Sunday breeze
Sunday, May 25 2014
Belmont Park Notes 5/25
• Clement pleased with Tonalist's breeze for G1 Belmont Stakes
• Wicked Strong goes a mile in preparation for the "Test of the Champion"
• Samraat ships to Belmont Park, tunes up for Belmont Stakes with one-mile breeze
• Intense Holiday to miss Belmont with injury after work in company with Commissioner; Palace Malice, Princess of Sylmar breeze for Belmont Stakes Day races
• Social Inclusion arrives at Belmont for either Belmont Stakes or G2 Woody Stephens; G1 Met Mile ruled out
Saturday, May 24 2014
Gulfstream: Rainbow 6 Betting Facilitated by Higher Base-Wager Amounts
Tickets Accepted in Any Amount as Long as It’s in 20-Cent Increments
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL – With unprecedented wagering expected on Gulfstream Park’s Rainbow 6 Monday – when a mandatory payout could reach an estimated $16 million – players of the popular multi-race wager will have the option of betting tickets with higher base wagers.
“Califorina Chrome” spells success
ELMONT, N.Y. - Fostering a superstition born on the first stop of the Triple Crown, Belmont Park presented the connections of California Chrome with two saddlecloths upon his arrival - one bearing the proper spelling of the colt's name and one deliberately misspelled "Califorina Chrome".
Friday, May 23 2014
Gulfstream Park Statement on Agreement with FHBPA
We appreciate the support and hard work of the Florida Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association (FHBPA) and all its members these last few months. We also appreciate the confidence they have shown in Gulfstream Park and The Stronach Group's goal to continue building the sport of Thoroughbred racing.
We now look forward to working with the horsemen at both facilities, the management of Calder Race Course and the state of Florida to complete this agreement in a timely manner.
Thursday, May 22 2014
Triple Crown hopeful California Chrome has first gallop at Belmont Park
ELMONT, N.Y. - Triple Crown hopeful California Chrome had his first gallop around Belmont Park's 1 ½-mile oval this morning, going out on a sloppy track shortly after 6 a.m. with exercise rider Willie Delgado aboard.
California Chrome, who will attempt to become the first horse in 36 years to add the Grade 1, $1.5 million Belmont Stakes on June 7 to victories in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness, galloped an easy 1 ¾ miles over the wet main track.