Saturday, June 07 2014
Jaipur Invitational (G3) Quotes
Wesley Ward, winning trainer of Undrafted (No. 6): "He ran fantastic. He ran beautiful. I was really happy. We're headed to the July Cup at Newmarket."
"I thought [Velazquez] rode him perfectly. I told him to be a cool-sitter and a go-getter."
Brooklyn Invitational (G2) Quotes
Shug McGaughey, winning trainer of Norumbega (No. 8): "The slow early pace wasn't a big concern. He had been training really well and we expected him to run a big race. We're not sure where he'll go next because it's tough to find another 1 1 /2-mile race."
Easy Goer Stakes Quotes
Linda Rice, winning trainer of Kid Cruz (No. 4): "This is terrific. He needed it, we needed it, and we want to keep him going in the right direction. When they put up the first quarter in :22 3/5, and the half in 45 and change, I thought it was our race to lose. He made an inside-outside move. In the past, he's been making a big, sweeping move and losing ground on the turn, but [jockey] Irad [Ortiz] saved ground on the inside, made the inside-outside move, and then when I saw the half, it was our race to lose."
"We'll probably point to the Dwyer (G2, July 5) and keep trying to let him learn his craft."
Friday, June 06 2014
Belmont Gold Cup Invitational Quotes
Todd Pletcher, winning trainer of Charming Kitten (No. 3): "[John Velazquez] and I were on the same page. I told him to break from the gate and gallop for two miles. I wanted to try to leave him relaxed in the post parade and, hopefully, leave there settled. He gave him a great ride; he had him covered up, and [Charming Kitten] relaxed really well. A great trip."
Belmont Park Notes 6/6
• California Chrome schools in paddock, has final gallop before G1 Belmont Stakes
• General a Rod gets first taste of local surface
• Samraat, Ortiz ready for Belmont Stakes
• Finley has high hopes for Commanding Curve
• Romans trying to catch lightning in a bottle with Medal Count
• Kid Cruz skips Belmont, finds 'easier' spot on undercard for Rice
• Zito reflects on Triple Crowns past, Chrome's chances
• New York trainers, former jockeys backing 'Chrome' in the Belmont Stakes
Thursday, June 05 2014
Belmont Stakes Card - $1.5 Million Pick 4, $1 million Pick 6
Belmont Stakes Card includes $1.5 Million guaranteed Pick 4, $1 million guaranteed Pick 6
ELMONT, N.Y. - The New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) will present a $1.5 Million Guaranteed All Grade 1 Pick 4 and a $1 Million Guaranteed All Grade 1 Pick 6 on Saturday, Belmont Stakes Day.
Belmont Park Notes 6/5
* California Chrome schools at starting gate, gallops 1 ¼ miles
* Tonalist draws far outside, continues preparations for Belmont Stakes
* Wicked Strong gallops on the Belmont training track
* Ride On Curlin braves storm, tunes up for "Test of the Champion"
* Samraat arrives at Belmont, tests local surface
* Pletcher reflects on brief stint training Lucky Pulpit, sire of California Chrome
Monster of the Mid-Atlantic, Ben’s Cat, Storms New York for the Jaipur
ELMONT, N.Y. - He has made his name and fortune terrorizing turf sprinters in the Mid-Atlantic, and now win machine Ben's Cat will make his first appearance at Belmont Park on Saturday as the 5-2 morning-line favorite in the Grade 3, $300,000 Jaipur Invitational Stakes.
Wednesday, June 04 2014
Palace Malice takes on Churchill Downs Stakes top four in G1 Met Mile
ELMONT, N.Y. - Palace Malice will take on a deep field, including the top four finishers from the Grade 2 Churchill Downs Stakes, in the Grade 1, $1.25 million Metropolitan Handicap on Saturday at Belmont Park.
The Met Mile, previously contested on Memorial Day, was carded as the ninth race on the 13-race card and is a Breeders' Cup Challenge "Win and You're In Race" in the Dirt Mile division.
Racing’s top fillies collide in G1 Ogden Phipps
ELMONT, N.Y. - The trainers of the top three older female racehorses in the country all know that the Grade 1, $1 million Ogden Phipps Handicap is a race that marks champions, and so Beholder, Close Hatches and Princess of Sylmar will meet in what shapes up to be a spellbinding showdown Saturday at Belmont Park.
BELMONT STAKES DRAW NEWS CONFERENCE TRANSCRIPT
ANDY SERLING: I'd like to officially welcome everybody to the drawing of the 146th Belmont Stakes. We're here on the garden terrace. Before we get things underway I'd like to bring on the president and CEO of the New York Racing Association, Chris Kay.
CHRIS KAY: Thank you, Andy, and thank all of you for coming today and welcome to beautiful Belmont Park. I want to thank all of you that came yesterday to our fantastic press event at Rockefeller Center. In particular I want to thank the owners and the trainers and the jockeys that came. I appreciate your insights, and most of all I appreciated your sense of humor. Clearly this is going to be a great weekend.
Tuesday, June 03 2014
Belmont Park Notes 6/3
• Sherman gets first opportunity to watch California Chrome at Belmont
• Wicked Strong continues prep for Belmont Stakes
• Kid Cruz withdrawn from consideration for Belmont Stakes, possible for Easy Goer
• Palace Malice looks to join rare company with Belmont Stakes, Met Mile double
o Antipathy may be late addition to G1, $1 million Ogden Phipps field
o Billy Turner, trainer of Triple Crown winner Seattle Slew, stresses importance of pace in Belmont Stakes