ALBANY -- Julien Couton rode two winners Saturday at Golden Gate Fields to take sole possession of first place in the jockey standings with one day remaining at the summer meeting.

The 17-day summer session concludes with a nine-race card Sunday. Post time is 1:15 p.m. and Couton goes into the finale holding a 24-23 advantage over Russell Baze in the rider standings.

Couton went 2-for-8 Saturday, scoring his victories aboard My Main Man ($15.00) in the fourth race and A Pint for Mary ($7.20) in the sixth. Baze went 1-for-7, posting his win in the ninth and final race with Janero ($5.20).

Couton’s lead in the jockey standings is a very precarious one as Baze has seven mounts Sunday – including four horses that are favored on the morning line – and Couton has only four.

Closing-day Sunday will feature $1 specials (general parking, general admission, hot dogs, beers, sodas and programs will cost just a buck apiece), live music by The Cheeseballs between races, and the Horses and Horsepower Car Show. Football fans can catch all the NFL action at Golden Gate Fields as the track is able to broadcast the games via its subscription to the Sunday Ticket.

Jockeys Injured In Spill -- Jockey Pablo Flores sustained a concussion and apprentice Irving Orozco sprained his right wrist after both riders went down in a spill during the stretch run of the sixth race Saturday.

The accident occurred when Bye Bye See Ya, ridden by Flores, steadied and fell after being put in tight quarters by race runner-up Diamond Geezah, who drifted in just inside the eighth pole. Mettler Station, ridden by Orozco, couldn’t avoid the fallen Bye Bye See Ya and tripped over his rival.

Bye Bye See Ya and Mettler Station both quickly scrambled back to their feet and ran off while the riders remained on the track until being assisted by track medical personnel.
Diamond Geezah was disqualified from second by the stewards and declared unplaced in the race.

Flores was taken to Highland Hospital in Oakland for a head CT scan. Orozco was sent to Alta Bates Hospital in Berkeley to have X-rays taken of his injured wrist.