Edited Churchill Staff Release – Churchill Downs Incorporated (“CDI” or the “Company”) (Nasdaq: CHDN) announced today that the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission (“KHRC”) has approved temporary licenses for six CDI properties to begin accepting in-person sports wagers on Thursday, September 7, 2023. The Company will operate Race and Sports Books at its racetracks and Historical Racing Machine (“HRM”) facilities in Kentucky including: Churchill Downs Racetrack in Louisville, Derby City Gaming & Hotel in Louisville, Turfway Park Racing & Gaming in Florence, Newport Racing & Gaming in Newport, Oak Grove Racing, Gaming & Hotel in Oak Grove and Ellis Park Racing & Gaming in Henderson.
“CDI is excited to bring our experience operating retail sports wagering experiences to Kentucky with many thanks to the Kentucky General Assembly, Governor Beshear, the KHRC and the Kentucky Public Protection Cabinet for their efforts in making this a reality,” said Bill Carstanjen, CEO of CDI. “Sports betting as a tourism and economic development opportunity will further strengthen the state’s signature equine industry by bringing new guests into our live and historical racing venues.”
CDI’s licensed Race and Sports Books will incorporate sports betting kiosks among existing bar and simulcast areas for guests to place wagers. Most locations will offer large format video screens or various televisions to watch live racing as well as collegiate and professional sports. Each of CDI’s HRM venues will implement a “Bet & Jet” feature that offers guests designated parking spaces for 15 minutes in order to quickly and easily place their in-person sports wager.
CDI properties across Kentucky will host grand opening events featuring ribbon-cutting celebrations, themed food and beverage offerings and discounts as well as sports wagering promotions. To commemorate the opening day of retail sports betting, Governor Beshear will place the first ceremonial sports wager in the state of Kentucky at Churchill Downs Racetrack at 10 a.m. EDT. For specific details, promotions and hours of operation, please visit the property Race and Sports Book websites below.
CDI’s retail Race and Sports Books opening on September 7, include:
· Churchill Downs Racetrack: 15 sports betting kiosks, 168 sq. ft. video screen, 20 large format televisions (churchilldowns.com/sportsbook)
· Derby City Gaming & Hotel: 15 sports betting kiosks, 300 sq. ft. video screen, 12 large format televisions (derbycitygaming.com/race-sports-book)
· Ellis Park Racing & Gaming: 5 sports betting kiosks (ellisparkracing.com/race-sports-book)
· Newport Racing & Gaming: 10 sports betting kiosks, 20 large format televisions (newportrg.com/race-sports-book)
· Oak Grove Racing, Gaming & Hotel: 20 sports betting kiosks, 300 sq. ft. video screen, 8 large format televisions (oakgrovegaming.com/race-sports-book)
· Turfway Park Racing & Gaming: 15 sports betting kiosks, 300 sq. ft. video screen, 16 large format televisions (turfway.com/race-sports-book)
In addition to retail sports betting, the KHRC also approved temporary licenses for three online sports wagering service providers that will operate in partnership with CDI’s racetracks: FanDuel, Penn Sports Interactive and Fanatics. Approved service providers can begin accepting online wagers on Thursday, September 28, 2023.