By Churchill Press Staff — A lucrative total Derby City 6 pool could await bettors Saturday for closing day of Churchill Downs’ 38-day Spring Meet. There’s a $150,160 jackpot carryover on Thursday (Races 3-8) after multiple tickets hit Sunday’s six-race sequence for the 14th straight race day. The pool will be rewarding Saturday if there’s not a single winning ticket Thursday or Friday.
The Derby City 6 jackpot pool only is paid if there is a single winning ticket. When multiple tickets contain six winners 90 percent of that day’s pool is paid out and 10 percent is added to the jackpot carryover.
Because Saturday is closing day, there will be a mandatory Derby City 6 payout with all monies distributed to ticket holders with the most winners in the six-race series. Saturday’s all-stakes Derby City 6, which only costs 20 cents per combination, will cover Races 7-12 starting at approximately 3:50 p.m. (all times Eastern).
Saturday’s closing day sequence features 61 entered horses for an average of 10.2 entries per race:
· Race 7: $150,000 War Chant, 3-year-olds, one mile on turf, eight entries
· Race 8: $150,000 Debutante (Listed), 2-year-old fillies, six furlongs, 10 entries
· Race 9: $150,000 Bashford Manor (Grade 3), 2-year-olds, six furlongs, 11 entries
· Race 10: $300,000 Wise Dan (Grade 2), 4-year-olds and up, 1 1/16 miles on turf, 10 entries
· Race 11: $600,000 Stephen Foster (Grade 2), 4-year-olds and up, 1 1/8 miles, nine entries
· Race 12: $150,000 Tepin, 3-year-old fillies, one mile on turf, 13 entries
Takeout on the Derby City 6 is just 15 percent, which is one of the lowest multi-race wager takeout rates in American racing.
The last time the jackpot was paid was Saturday, May 29 – Stephen Foster Preview Day – when Churchill Downs had a mandatory force-out of the jackpot with a $150,655 carryover. That day’s pool was $1,236,502 and all-sources handle on the 11-race program eclipsed $14 million.
Fans can wager on the Derby City 6 on track at Churchill Downs; www.TwinSpires.com, the track’s official online wagering platform; other online wagering outlets; and select satellite betting centers throughout North America.
Saturday’s 12-race closing day card featuring seven stakes events starts at 12:45 p.m.