By U.S. Trotting Association Press Staff — The 2021 application for accreditation by the Standardbred Transition Alliance is now available and can be found at www.standardbredtransition.org/accreditation.
The deadline to submit the annual application and all supporting materials is Oct. 15, 2020. Previously accredited groups must re-apply each year.
STA accreditation provides aftercare organizations with independent verification that their program is operating in the following ways:
• Their program is fully functional and well established. They are demonstrating stability, financial and operational transparency, responsible use of resources, and are adhering to sound and ethical business practices.
• They provide qualified and experienced horsemen, trainers, veterinarians and farriers to make sure each individual horse’s needs are being met while in their care.
• They have well-developed screening policies and are ensuring proper placement of each horse in suitable homes with adopters that have the skill-set and resources to provide for a bright future.
• They are providing each horse with a lifelong safety net, should they need assistance in transitioning again, and at any time. Their adoption policies clearly define all terms, restrictions, reporting, return and re-homing options.
• They professionally and positively represent their organization, Standardbred aftercare and the entire racing industry. They recognize the importance of upholding the image and integrity of both aftercare and racing and are working collaboratively in efforts to educate horsemen, the public, media, regulators, legislators and others on the importance of our work.
Organizations that secure STA accreditation are eligible for STA grant awards.
The STA is an industry-led charitable 501(c)(3) organization established in 2018 to advance the field of Standardbred aftercare. The STA mission is to inspect, accredit and award grants to approved organizations that acquire, rehabilitate, train and re-home Standardbred horses. This work is made possible through the generous financial contributions of the collective harness racing community and its participants.
To learn how YOU can make a difference in the future of Standardbred aftercare, visit Standardbredtransition.org.